Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to scrap metals -this weeks haul: I have collected 10 tv's, a printer, a weed whacker, trolling motor, a vcr, and a big bin of wires, cables and speaker off CL. I still have to pop open my first tv!

Idea: go up to the college football stadium, and collect cans. I have a Subaru wagon to fill up. I will probably have to pay $15 to park. Meanwhile, average attendance is 35,000. Should be a lucrative tailgate collection here. Is this worth it? Anyone try something like this? I think if I had a neon construction vest on and a bag and grabber I can pull it off. Or am I going to get in trouble? Will I make $$$? I could probably fit 5-6 large bags in my car. To crush or not crush?

Thanks, and happy hunting! - Jonathan

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
If you have to pay to park It's going to hurt! $15.00 to park / .65 a pound for cans is 23 lbs! I would find much cheeper parking in the surrounding neighborhood pay a guy $5 to park in his yard. If they are drinking before / during / after game tell him you would gladly take his cans. Then I would go around the big talegate areas and ask if you could recycle there cans if so give them a bag and tell them you will come back for it before they go inside the stadum to watch the game. Keep going around to the different talgaters. Then during the game look around after loading up the cans from the talegaters. Once the game is over then drive to parking lots, ect. and look for cans. No way you could crush cans in the begining but after the game in empty parking lots you may be able to crush pick up and keep going... Who knows what else you may find, discarded bbq grills, lawn chairs and so on.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about how long you're going to keep those can-filled bags before you sell them....

Had a local middle school do an aluminum can drive. They stored the bags of "all kinds of cans" within the walled perimeter of the school building's A/C cooling tower that on the Northwest end.... The smell began to grow. At one point, the City Health Inspector showed up because of the stale but pungent smell of month-old beer....and parents were not impressed about the "role model" odor, either. The Principal's Office was given 48hrs to get rid of cans, the flies, and the smell....

Make sure the container isn't glass, then roll over the parking lot cans with your front tires. Makes them flat and gets rid of any amount of remaining liquids.... Let us know how the idea worked and what "tail-gaters" drink.:tongue3:

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the Chili Cook off every year,down the street from where I live, in a beautiful 325 acre pristine park.
The day after, it's 325 acres of cans and garbage!
If I had of had a pick-up truck or even trash bags (instead of a metal detector), I'd a racked up that day!
The cleaning workers were all older Haitian men.
We laughed and I teased them, "That's what cha get for inviting a bunch of rednecks to a party"! :laughing7:

The football tailgaters party would be about the same. The $15 will bite some, unless you can park across the street or something. Will you NEED a safety vests? Play that by ear, see what the feel is. Just PLEASE REMEMBER not to bend down behind vehicles that have their WHITE tail lights on! VERY IMPORTANT! :laughing7:
Crush or not? My scrap man quit taking crushed because of folks putting rocks and stuff in them. He'll still take mine, I've traded with him for 25+ years. I'd be packing cans into bags and in to the car. Can you go and drop off the cans and come back and continue? If you can, don't worry about crushing them until, like one if the guys said, wait till everyone is gone, and drive over them.
And yeah, you will want to turn these cans in asap! The smell...... oh yuk!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread