How would one purify low karat gold to higher karat.

uncle.tio

Aug 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHLORINE GAS

The 10K or 14K would pollute the 22K making it unlikely to be salable with the uncertain amount of
copper/tin in the mix. MHO.

You can watch a YouTube video on how to use chlorine gas to purify your Gold; this is dangerous so do it in a ventilated area and use a respetator.
After the chlorine gas process your gold will be 14 k; the chlorine will combine with all elements except gold, platinum, and paladium.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uncle.tio;5075508... said:
the chlorine will combine with all elements except gold, platinum, and paladium.

No.

Chlorine is one of the few things gold will make compounds with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold(I)_chloride

What makes you think it is worth more if it were more pure anyways, Roadrunner? If you don't melt it whoever buys it from you can tell how much gold is there the same way you can- by the kt stamp already on it. One kt is 1/24th gold. 14kt would be 14/24 or 58.3% gold, 18kt would be 75% gold.

darksky1x

Oct 21, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Do not use, I specialize in e-scrap
Primary Interest:
Other
There is only one way to refine any type of gold with mixed content and that's through the use of chemicals. If you melt everything together before removing the base metals or impurities it only complicates the refining process making it much more difficult and much more expensive.

You can take any gold baring material, regardless of how low or little gold it contains and achieve .999 purity (24K) through the use of chemicals only. Smelting will remove some of the impurities from the gold if done correctly and with the proper flux but it is impossible to achieve .999 purity through the use of smelting alone.

You can go no ebay and find a lot of sellers advertising gold pins that they have melted together into a gold bar. it's impossible to know what percentage of gold these gold drop bars actually contain. A very small amount of gold melted together with any base metals can still have that "yellow" hue that we associate with gold so you never really know what your end results are going to be or how much gold you will have in the end.

I'm also a member on an online refining forum and there is horror story after horror story in thread after thread where people have purchased these gold drop bars off ebay and found it very difficult, almost impossible in some cases, to refine the melted pin gold drop bars and get anywhere close to .999 purity from the process. The first step in the refining process for any PM is to remove the base metals and other contaminates through the use of the proper chemicals. The last step is to finish the process and refine the gold to .999 purity again through the use of the proper chemicals and then melt what you have left into a gold bar or nugget of some type.

if you do the last step first you are just asking for trouble. Trust me, I found out the hard way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread