Pure Nickel.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Working a round some ships and shop yards in the north west / processing plants I have seen large valves made of nickel . Not sure why in stead of stainless .
Yes weekly magnetized .

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Work as an electroplater and plating nickel is part of it. The nickel chips (more like a round lumpy coin) are put in titanium baskets in the solution. They are very attracted to magnets. That's how we get them if we spill some loading the baskets.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just asked this ? .Cause I found a Round Cover of some sort That looks like brass but is slightly Magnetic ,
weighs around a pound & with high Nickel prices , I just wanted to know.

Took it to the scrap yard the other day , I wanted them to scan it with their XRF gun & tell me what its made of but they were very rude esp, the only one who could speak English , I kept getting the answer Brass But their weak magnets would not stick to it only the small strong magnet I had would stick to it , the guy says "oh the magnets sticking to it cause its a small magnet" OK Then asks me what do I want it to be made of , with his sarcasm .
I said GOLD of course.
Ok it maybe brass alloyed with a little iron for some reason ( it came from a 1930's building) whatever .
All I really wanted was them to scan it .
I know they have one , I've been doing business with them for over 7 years. NOT ANY MORE A H**(%.

Ill just go to Blaze Right next Door.
Sorry For My Rant , But don.t like being treated like a Smuck.
Davers

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Sounds like low grade stainless steel. I gave away a piece that fits in tractor trailers to hold the loads secure. Was heavy but a magnet pulled at it. Not strongly and I saw some rust stains. So I knew it was not aluminum. So buddy got himself a nice chunk of change.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just asked this ? .Cause I found a Round Cover of some sort That looks like brass but is slightly Magnetic ,
weighs around a pound & with high Nickel prices , I just wanted to know.

Took it to the scrap yard the other day , I wanted them to scan it with their XRF gun & tell me what its made of but they were very rude esp, the only one who could speak English , I kept getting the answer Brass But their weak magnets would not stick to it only the small strong magnet I had would stick to it , the guy says "oh the magnets sticking to it cause its a small magnet" OK Then asks me what do I want it to be made of , with his sarcasm .
I said GOLD of course.
Ok it maybe brass alloyed with a little iron for some reason ( it came from a 1930's building) whatever .
All I really wanted was them to scan it .
I know they have one , I've been doing business with them for over 7 years. NOT ANY MORE A H**(%.

Ill just go to Blaze Right next Door.
Sorry For My Rant , But don.t like being treated like a Smuck.
Davers
\
The scrap yards have nothing to lose in buying metals that are really worth more. Yellow brass vs Red brass comes to mind as they LIKE to mix those together and give the lower Yellow brass price. What gets me is that the weigh-in scales are strickly in pounds increments. So if you have just a little red brass, you can automatically lose almost a pound .....

About a year ago I found a unique and fancy cast holder for fireplace tools. Looked like an old 1900's English style with a curved shapes of rifles and pheasants for the upright post and a hunting dog laying across the base. A strong magnet weakly stuck any part of it, so I took a file and gouged the underside deeply. It showed yellow brass. The hunting dog overlay was held on with a steel machine bolt, so I guessed it must be an Asian reproduction using tainted metals within the brass.

I sold it all by itself at my garage sale for $30, far more than it would have brought for scrap. What is the current scrap price for nickel these days?

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's the nickel buttons for plating, coinage, also pipes/valves that are used in labs. Hit it with a grinder and if it sparks up then it'll be a stainless alloy, deeper the red the more nickel content. There's also magnetic brass/bronze out here also, the c metal as in soldered household plumbing that have been manufactured off shore can have a magnetic pull to the brass, the manganese bronze that will pull a chain magnet over also.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's the nickel buttons for plating, coinage, also pipes/valves that are used in labs. Hit it with a grinder and if it sparks up then it'll be a stainless alloy, deeper the red the more nickel content. There's also magnetic brass/bronze out here also, the c metal as in soldered household plumbing that have been manufactured off shore can have a magnetic pull to the brass, the manganese bronze that will pull a chain magnet over also.

Good information!

What's "a chain magnet"?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information!

What's "a chain magnet"?

To answer a couple Questions 1 - The Nickle price at this time is $8.43 a pound.

2 , I would assume a chain magnet is a magnet on a Chain (Da) [no offense ] or some type of string that will easily sway toward
a slightly magnetic metal/alloy.

An funny update on my post on the Mystery metal = ( likely a Impure ) Brass alloy.

I went back to the same yard (on Sat pm, as the one next door closed at noon, to take a good bit of steel that I had piling up and asked one of the same workers about "Red Brass "
& being funny ; was my dug yellow brass that is now a red color "Red Brass"?

Then the guy says I don't know ill have to SCAN it.???
Heck that all I wanted them to do to my Mystery Piece in the first Place.. Ok:BangHead:

Davers:thumbsup:

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What (if any ) items are / were made of pure Nickel? And is pure Nickel Slightly Magnetic as I have Heard In the past? I would be greatful for any help. Davers:thumbsup:
nickel is slightly magnetic . Weak but it is .
The scrap yard for recycling showed me how they checked .
A small magnet on a chain if it pulls to the metal .

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Nickel isn't magnetic. Anymore than steel is. It is attracted to magnets, but you won't pick up steel with nickel. To all the people that spell nickle, cause it ryhms with pickle, it is Nickel.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70

What deeper red the more nickel? Stainless steel is steel and chromium, no nickel.There is no magnetic brass or bronze either. Or attracted to magnets. Even neodymium.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What deeper red the more nickel? Stainless steel is steel and chromium, no nickel.There is no magnetic brass or bronze either. Or attracted to magnets. Even neodymium.

I guess after over a decade of doing non-ferrous metals I learnt something everyday, and being another day I have read that you believe that something isn't magnetic. Who's to argue with the simple click of the keyboard and a little knowledge is often dangerous they say. Nickel Aluminum Bronze Alloy C63000. So what is stainless without nickel called?Stainless Steel Specification and Composition Chart - Engineers Edge Deeper red always meant get it in the special testing bin and wait for the report and the payout for the upgrade, here's one that always put a :) on my mug.Chemical Composition of Hastelloy

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm sure there are thousands of stainless steel alloys and there is probably at least one that contains nickel.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm sure there are thousands of stainless steel alloys and there is probably at least one that contains nickel.

There are about 3000 nickel-containing alloys in everyday use. About 90% of all new nickel sold each year goes into alloys, two-thirds going into stainless steel. There's about 5 main base ST/S alloys and then there's the subgrouping within those which can run up to ? www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=606&featured=1

I can see where information from the first few lines of
wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel can state it hasn't any nickel content.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj
Thanks for the links and the useful info.

Davers

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Just a note: the US 5 cent coin, called a Nickel is made out of an alloy of Nickel and Copper, with enough Copper in the alloy that they coin is not attracted to a magnet. However, take a Canadian 5 cent coin (at least the ones I knew in the 70's & 80's) Also made of Nickel can be pulled and picked up by a magnet. This is due to the Canadian Nickel coin being an alloy that has more Nickel in it than the US coin. A magnet will stick to pure Nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions