Pewter & Zinc Question.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy way to tell pewter from Zinc?

My scrap yard has always told me to put the Zinc & Pewter items in with my Cast Aluminum .
but
With the Zinc price around 15 cents higher than the Au ,I reckon I should separate them.

Also how can I tell Zinc From Pewter or is it Basically the same .

Thanks for any advice..

One more thing will most scrap yards with a Shredder Except Bicycles with the rubber tires still
on them?.

Thanks again
Davers...:thumbsup:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All pewter items I buy say PEWTER. They are mugs, plates, pitchers etc. They all bend very easy if you try. I buy all the pewter i can get my hands on.

I don't know zinc very well but i am sure it is strong like iron.

There is a metal casting company out there called Wilton Armetale. their products look like pewter but are AL and some other metals. When I ask for pewter people hand me that all the time.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy way to tell pewter from Zinc?

My scrap yard has always told me to put the Zinc & Pewter items in with my Cast Aluminum .
but
With the Zinc price around 15 cents higher than the Au ,I reckon I should separate them.

Also how can I tell Zinc From Pewter or is it Basically the same .

Thanks for any advice..

One more thing will most scrap yards with a Shredder Except Bicycles with the rubber tires still
on them?.

Thanks again
Davers...:thumbsup:

The only way I can "guess" between Pewter and Zinc is that Zinc seems a harder metal. Both you and I need to find out how, FOR SURE. Today on Bloomberg, they reviewed Zinc's climb and it's now at a 5 year high. They said there is somewhat of a shortage, too.

Bill

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I can "guess" between Pewter and Zinc is that Zinc seems a harder metal. Both you and I need to find out how, FOR SURE. Today on Bloomberg, they reviewed Zinc's climb and it's now at a 5 year high. They said there is somewhat of a shortage, too.

Bill

Well W/O a Handheld Analyzer all I can say for sure is that Many 1982 Cents & 1983-2016 are Zinc with that thin Copper Plating . But I'm sure you knew that already.

My 3 Main / Close to home Recycling Co's Still Consider Cast Aluminum , Pewter, & Zinc......As OS Aluminum 'OS= Old Sheet.
I'm guessing it's all separated at the Refineries ,if it's worth the time & Effort. IDK

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill

Die cast faucet handles from outside hydrants to inside kitchen and bath knobs seem to be a good place to start looking for Zinc.

Here's a shortage update:

Bill

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Video BJB.
Seem's like a good investment for those with the $ to invest. ( the Mining Sector that is)

As of Last Friday My Main Recycle Co, is still paying 35-40 cents a Lb for Cast Aluminum , Zinc pieces , & old Sheet Aluminum.
All Still Classified together.
No wonder they got some New heavy Equipment. 7 cent a lb for Steel/ Iron made me smile.
GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread