boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets bring this post back from the dead.

Anyone have recent prices for scrap Shell Castings. Over the weekend I was hunting an old WWII training area and the shell castings were everywhere. Each one was approximately 2 1/2 inches long. The weight of my trash pouch started building up pretty quickly so I stopped digging them. Now I wondering if it would pay to go back and focus on gettting as many as I can...lol

The only problem I can see is thay many of them have dirt inside which I assume I would have to clean out and that maybe a big pain in the rear. The casings are tappered at the end so the openning is not that big.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the effort.

NJ
If you get a large amount get a 5 gal plastic bucket with a lid fill the bucket 3/4 full cover with water. Put the lid on & lay it on it's side. Kick it up & down the drive way a couple times. Take the lid off & stuff a garden hose in it. Tip it at an angle & turn the hose on full to flush the dirt. Dump them out on a 99 cent store plastic tarp let drain. 10 minutes & they're clean enough for the yards to take.

Hint #2 Do a little research. Some of the WWII ammo is collectible especially most anything used on the aerial gunnery ranges. Think outside the box & sometimes you can make more on three or four rounds than a whole bucket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread