A Question ..

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it normal now for scrap yards to give you OS or Old Sheet Price for most Aluminum ?
like Cast Pieces & other Harder Types .

If I recall Right in the past OS was for the lowest Quality Aluminum & I got more $ for the Cast pieces.

I went through the trouble a week ago sorting the cast from the small gutter pieces and such & even lamps that I thought were made of Zinc maybe , [as I have said before Alloy's are a pain.] but the guys just put all of it down as Old Sheet 40 cents a lb,

All the cast pieces were clean with all Screws & Steel parts removed.

It just don't seem right.

I tried to ask a few of the workers about this, and of course they suddenly lost the ability to speak/understand English & the head ( but head ) was in the yard Somewhere:BangHead: I know he has a radio but they are making sooo much money , I suppose my little bit of business don't mean that much.

Heck a diff, Company Next Door Has the same policy ,Everything OS- From what little info I could get from the Young Lady at the Pay Window.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Davers

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it's their way of making more money!

Last edited:

DB Cooper

Greenie
Jul 28, 2014
Prairieville, La.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear of this happen a lot around here also. My business generates a lot of scrap metals. The best defense is to do your home work. Call and talk to a manager. Get him/her to give you the specifications on what they want to buy and prices. If they won't give you straight answers, do business at another yard.
I found out that I was getting the short end of the stick on scrap lead. I asked about it and got a better deal. I believe most scrap yards take advantage of people. Seems the better informed get better treatment.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yall are def, correct , these places are making a killing over the past 10 years .

Heck they wont even give me a price sheet for the day anymore.

Been Scraping for over 20 years & have come to realize many of these yards & their owners are some of the most dishonest people around , ( they even have a sign " don't steal from us , we don't steal from you") Yeah Right!

I,m not even going to get into how they were paying every one Wheel weight price even for pure lead pieces.

Ill def, shop around ( if I can get a price over the phone, without all the rif,raf - " how much you got? We will have to see it Crap.

Also another funny thing is the Trash cans ALWAYS have Soda Cans Thrown away in them , it just don't make since.

Later
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread