How do I find the price for metals already smelted into ingots?

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched a few clips on youtube and people smelting cans are getting a lot of slag! So much so I would think with cans at 50 cents or so smelted ingots must be around $2 but how do I find out these type prices and all the other types of aluminum and brass and copper that can be smelted at home?I really don't know a lot about all this but I've got 200# of cans I'd love to practice with if I only knew where and how and at what price i could get rid of the bars.
Thanks y'all
Wade

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like to hear of new ways of doing things .
IMO
1st if you had Smelted Ingots of anything , You need to find an honest Dealer who Specializes in such things .
If there is one.

2,ed It seem it would be too much trouble to smelt Cans at home & not worth the effort.
( like they say if its that easy everyone would be doing it.)

Some Day I would 'maybe' like to [home smelt] all my Lead into Ingots For my Fellow Shooters To make Bullets .

It seems one would want each batch to be a certain 'Hardness' for Bullet Casting tho.:icon_scratch:

Good Luck
Davers

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like to hear of new ways of doing things .
IMO
1st if you had Smelted Ingots of anything , You need to find an honest Dealer who Specializes in such things .
If there is one.

2,ed It seem it would be too much trouble to smelt Cans at home & not worth the effort.
( like they say if its that easy everyone would be doing it.)

Some Day I would 'maybe' like to [home smelt] all my Lead into Ingots For my Fellow Shooters To make Bullets .

It seems one would want each batch to be a certain 'Hardness' for Bullet Casting tho.:icon_scratch:

Good Luck
Davers

UP THE IRONS !!!......ha couldn't resist...ddf

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for chiming in y'all. To start with I have been watching them smelt down gold,silver,lead copper brass and aluminum all on little home built forges.Now don't get me wrong I dont' want anything to do with something that could turn out to be much like work. Those days are over,but I do want to play around with a little blacksmithing etc and build a small forge just to play with,make my own charcoal etc.It's just something i've not done much of but think I would enjoy it.If I have the capability to smelt metals at home and it'll make a couple extra bucks I'm willing to try it! I just don't know where you would sell the stuff. The junk yard I deal with sends everything out to be processed so it becomes where do the processors sell to etc.Wish I knew more about the internet. I'm not real good on it.

Wade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread