Value of aluminum cans near you?(lowest-highest) and deposit fees.

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
I've been reading some of these posts of people recycling cans for $.55-.65/pound and I was wondering if the people on this board would post the going rates for cans in their areas?

With prices as low as $.55 I also wonder if they have to pay a deposit when they buy the beverage?Probably not,at that price it could only be the scrap value of the aluminum,I would think.

In California the lowest price I have seen lately is $1.55/pound and if you shop around as high as $2.05/pound.This includes deposit value and scrap value combined.

We also pay a deposit of $.04/can under 24 OZ. and $.08/can over 24 OZ.

So please list your going rates (lowest-highest) and also where those prices are located.Thanks.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
south suburbs of Chicago
between .57-.60 under 100 pounds
.63 over 50 pounds
.65 over 100 pounds

we pay no deposit fee and are allowed to crush them

Rumblebelly

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im stupid
i just started saving my a few weeks ago i have a 35 gallon can full
going to fill up few more then cash them in before the fall (new detector fund)

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Son #2 took his supply in; 2 weeks ago rec'd $.50/pound
no deposit area

Celtic Crusader

Jun 21, 2006
colorado springs- wise recycling $.50/lb
can crush, no deposit, and they even pay you with $2 bills if it comes out to something like $7.85

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
Recycling cans for cash? A favorite of mine! ;D

But after reading the rates others are getting . . I am a bit depressed over what we get :'( . . . still it is a good good deed! ;D

Southern Maryland
No Deposit
Clean & crushed cans = .30 cents a pound

Last batch we turned in was a gross of 59 pounds but they paid for a net of 58 . . . ??? . . . LOL

Bogart :D

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
I sold about 40 lbs. of aluminum cans in Cleveland,Tennessee yesterday and got 75 cents per pound. Wish you guys elsewhere could get the same. Regards, Chris Hyder.

L

lothias888

michigan has a 10 cent refund on cans (pop and beer) unless they are crushed then good luck finding a store to take them but the scrap yard is more than happy to take them at 60- 65 cent a pound

OP
OP
S

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
lothias888 said:
michigan has a 10 cent refund on cans (pop and beer) unless they are crushed then good luck finding a store to take them but the scrap yard is more than happy to take them at 60- 65 cent a pound
I had always seen this the Mich $.10 stamped on top of the cans but I didn't realize that they have to be uncrushed.

I have dreamed of taking a huge trailerload of (crushed)cans to Michigan and getting $3.10/pound(at least) not including scrap value.

So you must have to go to the recycling center often!Not only because the uncrushed cans would take up a lot of valuable space,but at a dime a piece it could tie up a lot of cash quickly(depending on how much one drinks ;D).I don't take in cans until I have over 4,000 cans or over 150 pounds(crushed)That would be over $400 in Mich.!

So,do they have a maximum amount you can bring in at one time?Or do they just count them individually for you,no matter how many you have?

I can't imagine paying $2.40-$3.00 every time I buy a case!Ouch!

But it pays off great if you can find a lot of (uncrushed) cans on the ground everywhere.

L

lbrombach

schramm said:
lothias888 said:
I had always seen this the Mich $.10 stamped on top of the cans but I didn't realize that they have to be uncrushed.

I have dreamed of taking a huge trailerload of (crushed)cans to Michigan and getting $3.10/pound(at least) not including scrap value.

So you must have to go to the recycling center often!Not only because the uncrushed cans would take up a lot of valuable space,but at a dime a piece it could tie up a lot of cash quickly(depending on how much one drinks ;D).I don't take in cans until I have over 4,000 cans or over 150 pounds(crushed)That would be over $400 in Mich.!

So,do they have a maximum amount you can bring in at one time?Or do they just count them individually for you,no matter how many you have?

I can't imagine paying $2.40-$3.00 every time I buy a case!Ouch!

But it pays off great if you can find a lot of (uncrushed) cans on the ground everywhere.

Back in the high school I knew a guy that worked the bottle/can return counter at a supermarket. Can you say free money? Nowadays all the supermarkets have machines that scan your can, then crushes them. Most stores around here have a $20 - $25 limit. I think last time I went it was about $5 per garbage bag of cans,depending on how many 2 liters were taking up space. How many cans did you say equals a pound? maybe I'll start saving the damaged ones along with scrap aluminum.

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007
26 cans equals 1 lb

I'd save them, can always throw them in the Aluminum bucket

We only get 40 cents a lb here in ND. Though the local place brought the price up to 55 cents a lb for Earth Day, it's down to 45 cents the last time I checked.

Also this is my first post here, I'm new here, but have been scrapping for years. Did alot when I was a kid (5-20), then started up big time again the spring of 2005. I'm 31 now.

TJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread