TJ2662s Hauls to the Scrap Yard

OP
OP
T

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007
Re: TJ2662's Haul's to the Scrap Yard

Okay my first haul of the month. I was gone for 2 weeks for the 4th of July & a family reunion. I scrapped all the copper/brass/some of the wiring out of a house that my cousins are going to tear down. Also was given permission.

Monday July 21st Trip #1
#2 Copper 82lbs (@2.75/lb) $225.50
#2 Insulated Wire 30lbs (@1.00/lb) $30.00
Yellow Brass 29lbs (@1.20/lb) $34.80
Aluminum 19lbs (@.40/lb) $7.60
TOTAL $297.90 (

Monday July21st Trip #2
Aluminan Cans 20lbs (@.50/lb) $10.00
#1 Insulated Wire 22lbs (@1.20/lb) $26.40
Stainless 22lbs (@.35/lb) $1.75
Stainless 23lbs (@.40/lb) $9.20
Tin 520lbs (@$50/ton) $13.00
Aluminum 80lbs (@.40/lb) $32.00
Dirty Aluminum 220lbs (@.25/lb) $55.00
TOTAL $147.35

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

TJ the price from the scrap yard you go to seems incredibly poor. Your Tin at $50/ton compared to 250-350 / ton for the lowest grade iron ( typical post these days) and your other prices except for copper and brass seem at least half of what the rest of us get around the world these days.

A friend of mine is a Honda wrecker and was at first offered $35 for CATS by one scrap yard; after a week of playing one yard against the other he's now up to $99.

Another point that with your high volume u should be getting a higher rate again like $380 for iron instead of 250-350 like most of us amatuers get.

OP
OP
T

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007

Pigiron,

Not much I can do about the prices.... going elsewhere would be cost prohibitive... I am not hauling in Steel, it's really Tin... Stell is around $180/ton here. I don't live on one of the coasts... I live in ND.

TJ

pigiron said:
TJ the price from the scrap yard you go to seems incredibly poor. Your Tin at $50/ton compared to 250-350 / ton for the lowest grade iron ( typical post these days) and your other prices except for copper and brass seem at least half of what the rest of us get around the world these days.

A friend of mine is a Honda wrecker and was at first offered $35 for CATS by one scrap yard; after a week of playing one yard against the other he's now up to $99.

Another point that with your high volume u should be getting a higher rate again like $380 for iron instead of 250-350 like most of us amatuers get.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Whats the name and address of your yard.
U spoke before about $10 to take freon out . have u seen them actually doing it.
I suspect it's a "legal" gimmick to convince you to pay up and in fact they do nothing( I know its a requirement but I'm referring to your yard in particular )
Where I come from "tin" is still steel. I think this yard and some others use this tin excuse to
give a real low price. Its all picked up by the magnet or crane and put in the crusher/shredder.
I've never seen it SEPERATED from other ferrous scrap

OP
OP
T

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007

pigiron said:
Whats the name and address of your yard.
U spoke before about $10 to take freon out . have u seen them actually doing it.
I suspect it's a "legal" gimmick to convince you to pay up and in fact they do nothing( I know its a requirement but I'm referring to your yard in particular )
Where I come from "tin" is still steel. I think this yard and some others use this tin excuse to
give a real low price. Its all picked up by the magnet or crane and put in the crusher/shredder.
I've never seen it SEPERATED from other ferrous scrap

My "local" yard was bought out by GERDAU AMERISTEEL a few years back.... You can check their website... I am not disagreeing with you, just telling you that this is the way it is here..

Oh I'm pretty sure they don't drain the freon..... If you bring in atleast 5 non-freon appliances w/ every 1 freon appliance, the $10 fee doesn't apply.... The reason they have the fee is to satisfy, the EPA, enviromentalists & the like....

TJ

OP
OP
T

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007
I'm Back

Hello Everyone, well after 3 summers of being too busy to post, I'm back, :icon_thumright: will eventually get even my old loads from the last few years on here. Sorry was running summer sports teams, along w/ scrapping, and taking care of ailing grandparents....

Prices look awesome for this scrapping season :laughing7:

TJ

My "local" yard was bought out by GERDAU AMERISTEEL a few years back.... You can check their website... I am not disagreeing with you, just telling you that this is the way it is here..

Oh I'm pretty sure they don't drain the freon..... If you bring in atleast 5 non-freon appliances w/ every 1 freon appliance, the $10 fee doesn't apply.... The reason they have the fee is to satisfy, the EPA, enviromentalists & the like....

TJ

junkyarddog

Greenie
Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the $$$$$$$ and prices to yourself hit the scales heavy and smile kid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread