billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loving all of these suggestions. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming! I've been researching too, found a guy on youtube suggesting calling dentist offices and getting lead foil out of those bite films.

If you've got a well established plumber in the community, check with him. The old shower pans were made from solid lead sheeting that lined the floor and 6" high all the way around the shower. The new liners are of a special fabric material that's waterproof, but the plumber most likely has rolls of lead sheeting stuck back.... The local scrapyard pays only .10-cents a pound for wheel weights, but .40 lb. for clean lead....:evil5:

Remember to let us know where you found your best lead, will you?

Bill

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a shooting range when its closed up and no shooting is going on, obviously. Get gravel. Sift it. You can also dry pan it. The lead is so heavy if you pan it without water and bullets will be left on the bottom. Melt it and scrape lead oxide and copper off. Boom.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is one years worth from water detecting
5caspr.JPG ...I just weighed box of what I got this year = 50lbs
I got probably over 400 lbs from last 10 yrs

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I mostly find a little piece while detecting

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to look for at the thrift store are leg and ankle weights in the sports section. I get quite a bit of lead [as mentioned already] at the gun range.
For those who don't know already, it is not a good idea to add jacketed bullets from a range into a pot of molten lead because there could be moisture in them, and anything that I put into molten lead [eg. ladle, slag skimmer or more lead] I heat next to the pot to drive out any moisture. Water and molten metal of any kind is a bad combination.

darksky1x

Oct 21, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Do not use, I specialize in e-scrap
Primary Interest:
Other
Back-up power supplies that companies use to protect their computers from data loss when the power goes down contain led-acid batteries inside, like those found in cars, just smaller versions (about half the size). I've ended up with a few when buying large lots of computers and accessories at auctions.

Got about a dozen of those smaller lead-acid batteries setting around my shop right now. When I get enough to make it worthwhile I'll take them to my local scrap yard pick up a few dollars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread