kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you're gonna be hard-pressed to find "free" lead, as it is worth money to recycle. However, you can sometimes find old car batteries. Might could go to an auto salvage yard and find an already damaged battery. Explain what you want to do to the owner (I'm from a small town - that's still possible here :tongue3:) and, if all you need is one battery, maybe they would give it to you, but probably sell for a low price. Then if you need more, bring in some of your castings to show off the next time - maybe even see if you could make a couple extras for them.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about simply buying some lead fishing weights or fishing sinkers...melt'em down and BLAM! Instant jigs!!??....ddf

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You anywhere close where everyone goes to shoot? Like that dirt bank down by the (fill in the blank)? Got one close to me that I can sift 10+ pounds worth in a heartbeat. If all else fails give the local junkyard a call! A lot of them are willing to sell off old lead pipe etc. If the going price is $.50 expect to pay $1.00 a pound. Have you thought of placing an ad on Craigs List in the wanted section? Can't hurt. Or if you have some stuff you don't need anymore put it in the barter section. Some scrapper might be willing to trade off some of the lead he's holding hoping prices go up.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the gun range idea. Had it go through my head, but bone-headed me forgot it by the time I finished writing about the salvage yards. :tongue3:

Boogeyman - what's with all the care when mentioning a gun range? :dontknow:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the gun range idea. Had it go through my head, but bone-headed me forgot it by the time I finished writing about the salvage yards. :tongue3:

My impression was he was sparking memory of an informal range nearby to sift vs a full blown range.
That said ,on ranges with extensive shotgun use there exist a commercial type harvester for lead ,which must end up somewhere after recovery.
Some farm use ,from weighing discs ect could turn up an old block or ingots.
On occasion x-ray facilities are removed or updated and that lead goes somewhere too.
I have a sixty pound ingot squirreled away ,from a deal at a blackpowder shoot , dad has one he estimates at four hundred pounds from somewhere years back ,a well pipe driving weight maybe.
It's out there. Detecting near fishable water turns up quite a bit ,as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was just a simple way to say the dirt bank over yonder by blank. Since everyone has a favorite bank to shoot at. Mine by the canal is different than yours by the old tree. Get it? Fill in the blank :icon_thumleft: I didn't over think it did I? Now let's both run down to the coffee shop over by the (fill in the blank) and get ourselves a little caffeinated.:coffee2::laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That was just a simple way to say the dirt bank over yonder by blank. Since everyone has a favorite bank to shoot at. Mine by the canal is different than yours by the old tree. Get it? Fill in the blank :icon_thumleft: I didn't over think it did I? Now let's both run down to the coffee shop over by the (fill in the blank) and get ourselves a little caffeinated.:coffee2::laughing7:

**HA!HA!** Check your inbox for a PM. :thumbsup:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check thrift stores for scuba weight belts. I snagged a belt with 25 lbs of solid lead blocks just the other week for $18. Cheapest so far is 22 lbs for $10.

Also try craigslist for diving gear.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out older bridge building companies, many old bridges used sheets of lead, a foot square or so, I picked up a stack once.

OP
OP
D

dhsjgordon

Sep 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loving all of these suggestions. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming! I've been researching too, found a guy on youtube suggesting calling dentist offices and getting lead foil out of those bite films.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found about 5 pounds on the beach today.....got heavy to carry home, too.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're gonna be hard-pressed to find "free" lead, as it is worth money to recycle. However, you can sometimes find old car batteries. Might could go to an auto salvage yard and find an already damaged battery. Explain what you want to do to the owner (I'm from a small town - that's still possible here :tongue3:) and, if all you need is one battery, maybe they would give it to you, but probably sell for a low price. Then if you need more, bring in some of your castings to show off the next time - maybe even see if you could make a couple extras for them.

They can't sell it as it is considered hazardous that is what a tire shop told me about all their old lead tire weights they still had.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get mine water hunting, 100_5316.JPG make new drop shot weights with my lead. 100_5317.JPG Also make lead bars for using after I lose all these.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
They can't sell it as it is considered hazardous that is what a tire shop told me about all their old lead tire weights they still had.

Dam gov't and their rules!! They try so VERY hard to keep us so VERY safe - but not from what hurts us most -- -- -- THEIR OWN STUPIDITY!! Geez, if people don't know (or care) about the hazards of lead by now, then they DESERVE to get lead poisoning - whether slowly over time, or all in one big dose! :laughing7:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I hear you there KCM! Surprized that divers aren't concerned about using shot weight belts. You should see the amount of lead powder they create from all that shot grinding on itself. Block weights are much safer in this regard.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a diver, but can certainly understand that part! ...I think the only dive belts I have seen were block-weighted.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! never heard that one before. Have you thought of offering to lose a six pack or two in the managers trunk (works excellent on Friday afternoons)? If it's before lunch a pizza & some soda has worked for me to turn adamant NOs! into yeah go grab ems. How about, I'll pay you to remediate that pile of hazardous waste for you.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! never heard that one before. Have you thought of offering to lose a six pack or two in the managers trunk (works excellent on Friday afternoons)? If it's before lunch a pizza & some soda has worked for me to turn adamant NOs! into yeah go grab ems. How about, I'll pay you to remediate that pile of hazardous waste for you.

That's a risky move these days. Someone's entire business could be shut down for such violations, PLUS they could be fined and thrown in jail. There's MUCH that our illustrious gov't has done in the name of "public safety" that does just as much harm as good. ...See, we're just "Commoners" - therefore, we can't know much. ...There was actually someone who said about the wife and I that we were just homeowners, so what did WE know!!?!! ...That was from a contractor, and was said to a judge. The judge disregarded my past as a contractor in home repair and remodeling, and the wife's past in home decorating and renovation. After all, we were no longer "professionals"!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a risky move these days. Someone's entire business could be shut down for such violations, PLUS they could be fined and thrown in jail. There's MUCH that our illustrious gov't has done in the name of "public safety" that does just as much harm as good. ...See, we're just "Commoners" - therefore, we can't know much. ...There was actually someone who said about the wife and I that we were just homeowners, so what did WE know!!?!! ...That was from a contractor, and was said to a judge. The judge disregarded my past as a contractor in home repair and remodeling, and the wife's past in home decorating and renovation. After all, we were no longer "professionals"!
Are you serious, seriously?:laughing7: So are you trying to say the folks that sell ingots on EBay, and other places are going to the pen? :icon_scratch: AS far as I've been told by city & county officials scrapping lead isn't illegal (at least here) When you start smelting it, you need permits out the yazoo from every agency known to man.

If you never ask, you'll blow a hack of a lot of chances in life! A not so famous wise man once said, "They can't shoot ya fer askin!"

Also, forgot to mention. If you get a bucket of balance weights learn to tell the sound difference between zinc & lead weights!!!! One zinc in your pot will spoil the whole batch.

BTW Did you present ANY documentation to the judge regarding your knowledge & experience? Like certificates, business licenses contractors licenses, etc etc etc? Remember document everything, and cover your butt with black & white! Your word in court means diddly, but a pile of documentation does. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread