cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you mean electronics recycling? If yes, you first need to find a reliable buyer, that pays well and on time.

Before I comment more I want to make sure I am on the same subject as you. (be glad to help)

OP
OP
D

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more detailed in my post. Sorry about that. I was wondering about electronics like computers, DVD players, etc. I've read some on it but haven't known anybody local that does it. Thanks for the reply. Mb

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about as far from local as you can get. I had been doing electronic recycling for several years, almost 45,000 cell phones and hundreds of computers. But I just moved up to NoCA a couple of weeks ago and closed down my business. Not a lot of people up here to do the volumn I was used to.

Before you get into it heavy you need to research how you will (1)get your e-junk and how you will (2)sell it and (3)who you will sell it to.

I have already done the research for #2&3. Once you have figured out how you will do #1 for your area I will be happy to let you in on #2&3.

I had a steady supply of trashed cells (some were even good for ebay resale) and I bought computers at yard sales every Saturday for over 6 years. (I also bought other things for resale and gold and silver at yard sales)

Things not to buy at yard sales for recycling: digital cameras, stereos, keyboards, monitors, TV sets, ipods, GPS, etc. (electronics are too small and too much work to remove)

Good things to buy: cell phones 50¢ ea or less, computers $1.00, laptops $1.50

OP
OP
D

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot for the info. I'm late getting back on here due to home repairs and holidays. I hit yard sales and thrift shops weekly and people give me stuff as well. It saves them time I guess. I have room for storing it till I figure what I'm looking for. Again, thank you for taking time to reply. Mb

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots and lots of youtube videos that show you how to escrap almost anything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greenboards do not bring a lot of money. when you get a box full (at least 20 lbs) drop me a message. I sometimes use a guy in FL. he pays pretty good (probably less than boardsort) but he picks up the fed-x cost. I will give you his address.

I also used a local guy and he paid pretty good but he will only buy from a "company" and he pays by check.

Look locally for e-waste buyers.

always save for the future: CPU, RAM and hard drive greenboards. They are worth more than the other e-waste pieces.

darksky1x

Oct 21, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Do not use, I specialize in e-scrap
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually electronic recycling and e-scrapping are not the same, two entirely different subjects. IMHO, electronic recycling can be finding a older item like a computer, cell phone, dvd player, PDA, ect. and either refurbishing that item and then reselling it or selling the item as is to a recycling facility or scrap yard for processing.

E-scrapping is a little more involved than that; e-scrapping can also include electronic recycling to the degree that an older item like listed above is refurbished, even possibly upgraded, and the offered for resell. It also include taking and older item and breaking it down for used parts resell. But the heart and soul of e-scrapping is when you take things one step further and de-manufacture an item, lets say a computer, and break it down to its smallest components. For instance removing the MB and depopulating it (removing the components), separating those components into different containers (never mix electronic components together, you will live to regret it if you do) until you have enough to warrant their resell in bulk.

For instance Wet Aluminum Caps in one container, Dry Aluminum Caps in a different container, Dry SMD Tantalum Caps in a different container, MLCC Caps in a different container, Quad ICC's in a different container, DIP ICC's in a different container, Flat Pack ICC's in a different container, Leader Ceramic Caps IADC, Silver Mica Caps IADC, Crystal Oscillators IADC, --- Gunn Diodes -- Laser diodes LED's -- Gold Doped diodes -- Glass Caps -- Super Caps -- Thin Film Resistors -- Variable resistors -- Mechanical resistors -- Data Cable End Connectors -- DIMM's -- CPU's -- Silver Contacts -- and the list goes on and on and on, each and every different separated and stored in a different container until you have sufficient weight to post for sale to any of them many different factions that purchase e-scrap either for resell, refining of RM's spare parts and so on.

But it does not stop with just MB's - the same applies to power supplies, DVD/CD players, Floppy Disc Players, Hard drives, the connector ends from data cables and the sockets/ports that plug into, wires, cellphones and on and on and on. Basically any gadget, device, equipment, monitor, laptot or other item that contains electronic components, PCB's or is powered by electricity (AC or DC) qualifies as e-scrap.

I've been actively scrapping for 35+ years and 3 years ago I switched to e-scrap which encompasses 90% of my scrap items. I just finished work on a two year project which was researching/writing a book devoted entirely to e-scrap. Its title is "E-Scrap Parts Manual" and it is a one-of-a-kind reference manual which describes the different electronic components that you would find on a MB (Caps, Diodes, Rectifiers, Transistors, ect.), lists what the components are made of including any and all PM's used in their construction, Their value as e-scrap and where you can sell them at and to. It also includes a variety of different pictures for each and every component. Basically, it's a "must have" reference manual for anyone who is serious about e-scrap.

AND (I saved the best for last) I released it in .pdf format and it's absolutely FREE! That's right.Ill give you a copy under one condition and that is youa can use it, reproduce it and share it AS LONG AS THE DOCUMENT STAYS INTACT AS A SINGLE DOCUMENT. That's it, the only requirement is you do not break it down into smaller sections and redistribute those, No other conditions, no other requirements.

It has been reviewed and checked by refiners and scrappers both for accuracy of the information it contains. Each and every reviewer and/or user of the manual says the same thing, that there is nothing else like it anywhere, nothing even close that provides the information is such detail and that it is invaluable as a reference source for anyone who has any involvement with e-scrap at any level!

if any of you who reads this post would like a FREE copy of E-Scrap Parts Manual then send me a message and i'll provide you a link where you can download a copy from my site, no strings attached!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions