kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...But all I really wanted was the bucket. I threw the rest away. HONEST!! :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That didn't weigh 86 pounds! The way that guy carried it off it wasn't close to the listed weight.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was that the gold tod hoffman got this week?

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dunno, gold weighs 160 lbs per gallon.
Flake would be lighter, but it would have some weight to it if the bucket was filled.
Bucket looks to be about 2 gallons 3 max, so if filled would be extremely heavy unless the drop in weight solid vs flake is more extreme than I am thinking.

They say its 86lbs - A full 5 gallon bucket, which I have lifted 100's if not 1,000's of times, is pretty dang heavy and they weight around 50-70 lbs [a gallon of paint would be heavier than a gallon of water].
So I'm dubious about the weight too, the guy doesn't look like a power lifter or anything.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the video earlier today. They left the back of the truck open. Reminded me of the scene in the movie "Groundhog Day".

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insurance scam setup, wanna bet? Read the story It said the guard walked around the front of the truck to get his call phone (yeah right). Watch the vid real careful - how many people are walking past? The thief walks towards the front of the truck?!? Then he spends an hour dragging it the distance it would normally take 10 minutes to cover to a white van that was waiting. His buddy with the van just happened to be there? The van driver didn't think to pull a little closer?

My prediction? A bucket was placed in the truck, the guard conveniently walked away when he saw his accomplice. The bucket was probably filled with pennies, the lid was sealed by the shipper. The pennies / gold will never be recovered. The shipper, driver, thief, van driver will soon be splitting their shares of 1.2 million.

BTW if you really need a giggle, read the comments from the MSN article! According to the armchair sleuths the only place that much flake could've come from is on the floor of some jeweler. Guess we've been doing all that hard work in the field and all we had to do was ask the jeweler if we could have a couple of scoops of his 1.2 million he has sitting in the corner of the back room!! Great comments! If you don't get a laugh out of em, there's sumpin wrong with you!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like just some small time thief saw an opportunity to steel something. I am sure he did not even know what was in there. He also didn't know there are cameras everywhere. The van was also plainly marked with a company name and I am sure the police got plates from that last video. I know NCIS would have solved this in 5 min

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam, too bad I am restricted to only lifting 25 pounds...and he found it without a metal detector or a gold pan. I guess that the streets of New York are really paved with gold

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like just some small time thief saw an opportunity to steel something. I am sure he did not even know what was in there. He also didn't know there are cameras everywhere. The van was also plainly marked with a company name and I am sure the police got plates from that last video. I know NCIS would have solved this in 5 min
Yup! 5.5 if they had to run DNA!:tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=1]Man Arrested in Ecuador in Brazen NYC Theft of Gold Flakes[/h]
A fugitive wanted for the brazen theft of an 86-pound bucket of gold flakes worth nearly $1.6 million off an armored truck in midtown Manhattan has been arrested in Ecuador, police said Friday.
U.S. Homeland Security investigators and New York City and Ecuadorean police apprehended Julio Nivelo, who also uses aliases. In Ecuador, prosecutor Maria Aguirre said Nivelo would be tried in the country for theft. Ecuador does not permit extradition.
Nivelo was arrested Thursday after leaving the home of a relative, where he had been living, said police Col. Carlos Coloma. Officials tracked him from New York through Florida, they said.
Defense attorney Faricio Garcia argued that immigration documents indicate that Nivelo wasn't even in New York at the time of the theft because he has been banned from entering the U.S. since 2008.
Earlier, Ecuadoran police said in a statement that there was no registry of Nivelo entering the country legally, "and it is presumed that he did it in a clandestine manner at the border."
The gold hasn't been recovered. Surveillance cameras showed the thief swiping the 5-gallon bucket off the back of the vehicle in broad daylight on Sept. 29.

Man Arrested in Ecuador in Brazen NYC Theft of Gold Flakes - ABC News

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Whaty a moron, as well as the morons that allowed him to even have the chance to try!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, gold weighs 160 lbs per gallon.
Flake would be lighter, but it would have some weight to it if the bucket was filled.
Bucket looks to be about 2 gallons 3 max, so if filled would be extremely heavy unless the drop in weight solid vs flake is more extreme than I am thinking.

They say its 86lbs - A full 5 gallon bucket, which I have lifted 100's if not 1,000's of times, is pretty dang heavy and they weight around 50-70 lbs [a gallon of paint would be heavier than a gallon of water].
So I'm dubious about the weight too, the guy doesn't look like a power lifter or anything.

I was wondering, , which weighs more? 80 pounds of feathers or 80 pounds of gold? Isn't 80 lbs equal to 80lbs?
I think it would take a much larger container to hold 80 lbs. of feathers but the weight would be the same.
I heard that the thief has been identified and apprehended.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering, , which weighs more? 80 pounds of feathers or 80 pounds of gold? Isn't 80 lbs equal to 80lbs?
I think it would take a much larger container to hold 80 lbs. of feathers but the weight would be the same.
I heard that the thief has been identified and apprehended.

Dont confuse a pound = pound with a gallon = pound. A 5 gallon bucket of water is easy enough to lift. A 5 gallon bucket of hydrocloric acid would be much, much heavier.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well sure, 80 lbs of anything is equal to 80 lbs of anything else. 80 lbs of gold would fit in half a gallon, 80 lbs of feathers probably 50 gallon drum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread