trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have acquired about ten or twelve pounds of cupronickel from a marine application and am wondering what it might be worth to a scrapyard. Also, is there any way to determine the ballpark nickle content as it would certainly affect value. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel

Try to go to a Larger Yard that has a Handheld Analyzer , that will give a correct percentage of each metal in your C.U.N..

darksky1x

Oct 21, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Do not use, I specialize in e-scrap
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually there are several elements that are (can be) added to Cu-Ni, it just depends on what the intended use of the ally is. Some of the more common elements you might find in Cu-Ni include: manganese, iron, tin, niobium, silicon, chromium, beryllium and aluminum, titanium, zinc (1% maximum). There are others but these are the most common.

Nickel has a marked effect on the color of Cu-Ni alloys. The copper color becomes lighter as nickel is added. Alloys are almost silvery white from about 15% nickel. The lustre and purity of the color increases with nickel content. From about 40% nickel, a polished Cu-Ni surface can hardly be distinguished from that of silver.

Cu-Ni alloys are corrosion resistant copper alloys. They are resistant to moisture, non-oxidizing acids, alkalis, salt solutions, organic acids and to gases such as oxygen, chlorine, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread