HOW WE REFINE GOLD WITH PICS

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, people keep begging me for pics of our small refining operations, we do it about once a week or as needed.

First is a pic of some scrap gold and jewelry from customer trade ins, etc, also some junk from our filings And Lathing. For this lot we have some bench sweeps, and old jewelry, and a couple old British coins from the late 1800s that were used as jewelry.

Next its tossed into a hot acid bath of Aqua Regiea a mix of Nitric and Hydrochloric acid.
We add the scraps and junk carefully as to not splash it, WE ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING!

Its left to sit overnight and the next day we pour off the acid as it contains gold and copper nickel etc.

we rinse the undissolved pieces that are silver of the acid and filter off all the left over solids, this is silver witch we just bag separately and have refined by larger outfits. We are also able to recover gems, diamonds ect as the acid does not harm good stones. These are re sold or reused.

Next we must neutralize the nitric acid witch has partially been done by heating hte acid but is best done by adding Urea/ Uric acid...and yes its Piss and yes piss does work. but we use urea fertilizer, Then we add sodium Bi Sulfite to precipitate the gold out of solution. It falls to the bottom as a nasty brown mass and is quite unappetizing to look at, This is rinsed several times and filtered, the filtered gold is then heated.

The result is a pool of gold once melted. the gold is allowed to cool for a short time and then tossed into water,
The water has a blue shop towel at the bottom and this allows for the gold to be suspended in a jacket of steam so it wont burn the towel or stick too the bottom of the pan.
Once the gold cools down and is not steaming its safe to pick up and hold.

For this lot it ended up being a nice heavy slug of .999 fine gold that was just over 1.7 ounces.
A value of about $1250 at the time of this wighting.
The gold was then choped up and re alloyed into new rings. The scraps from those rings will be re refined in the same process. And on it goes.

Attachments

• DUSTANDSCRAP.jpg
    DUSTANDSCRAP.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9,700
  • 6GOLD.jpg
    6GOLD.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10,768
  • 5water.jpg
    5water.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9,148
  • 4melt.jpg
    4melt.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9,175
  • 3melt.jpg
    3melt.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 9,235
  • 3much.jpg
    3much.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 9,233
  • 3ACIDBATH.jpg
    3ACIDBATH.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 9,281
  • 2ACIDBATH.jpg
    2ACIDBATH.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 9,318
  • 1junk.jpg
    1junk.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 9,488
  • DUSTANDSCRAP.jpg
    DUSTANDSCRAP.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9,367

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and post. Very informative and thanks for sharing.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...sad to see those coins get melted down...

HH
-GC

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So if a person has a bunch of gold plated jewelry, this is the method to strip the gold off for reclaiming? Thanks for the formula. ;)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
goldsilverpro, thanks for the weblink. I've only read a couple of things and already think it it too cool.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the gold and silver placed in the acid together? or seperately? the rinse you speak of, is that with water? I would really like to get an ignot of about 1 oz of either silver or gold from some of the jewelry I have. Are the acids available over the counter?

easom

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2008
Boise Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2, BH Landstar, BH Discovery 2000
Hi there, My friend did this with with scrap jewelery and a few large parts out of an old computer server. The piece is almost 3/4 of an ounce. The computer server thing was supposed to contain platinum and palladium. Would those metals be in the lump of gold? He says that it is. Anyway how does one sell a gold lump like this. These are pics of the lump by a mans ring. I was supprised how good the instructions in this post worked. CODY

Attachments

• DSCF2723.JPG
    DSCF2723.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 8,097
  • DSCF2725.JPG
    DSCF2725.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 8,013

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions