Seem Scrapping $ has gotten better lately .
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Plumbata
  • 1 Post By islamoradamark
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300
  • 2 Post By pepperj

Thread: Seem Scrapping $ has gotten better lately .

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6881 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Seem Scrapping $ has gotten better lately .

I did not turn in my Copper or Brass but I was told 'Yesterday' $4.25 per LB for Copper Bare Bright & $4.20 for #1 Copper Pipe .

I have lots of Pipe & wire found while detecting ...It is clean of dirt ( Brass ? as well ) & other metals , It's just patina-ed or Tarnished.

Is this still # 1 Copper ? or Clean Brass ? .

Thanks
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    2154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davers View Post
    It's just patina-ed or Tarnished.

Is this still # 1 Copper ? or Clean Brass ? .
    Not in my experience, it would be #2, though maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price. I don't remember there being a price difference for dark old vs bright new brass at my yard but it's been a long time since I took anything in. There was a difference between red brass and yellow brass though, red being more valuable.
    Davers likes this.

Aug 2016
    3360 times
    cleaning cost money
    Davers likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2669 times
    Prospecting
    Those places dont care about shine, they just want it bare.
    They know obviously shiny copper is new and clean so that's why they say that.

They will also often negotiate on price if you have a big load.
    Davers likes this.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6881 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Not in my experience, it would be #2, though maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price. I don't remember there being a price difference for dark old vs bright new brass at my yard but it's been a long time since I took anything in. There was a difference between red brass and yellow brass though, red being more valuable.
    Yea .
    #2 would have welds , paint and maybe burnt plastic .

Ill Get # 1 price or ill sit on it as I been thinking about getting a 'Devil' or similar type of furnace and melting down my Brass & copper into bars just for a hobby .

So either way it was all free to me & ill make $ . I appreciate your reply as well as the others .

Davers
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50689 times
    Relic Hunting
    #2 Copper

This grade of copper can be identified by its somewhat dirty appearance. It should be comprised of miscellaneous unalloyed wire, pipe or solid metal that continues to have solder, paint or any kind of coating on it. Additionally, its minimum copper content should be 94-96%. In order to qualify for this grade, wire must be bare of insulation and be thinner than a 16th of an inch in diameter. The ends and fittings of #2 copper are generally accepted at dealerships, and oxidation of some wire, pipe or tubing is allowed as long as damage is not excessive.
    #2 copper is the third most valuable grade available.
    #1 Copper

#1 copper is the second most profitable type to trade in. To be classified as #1, the copper should be comprised of bus bars, clippings, commutator segments and wire of at least 1/16th of an inch in diameter. It should also be clean in appearance, unalloyed and uncoated.
    The most valuable type of copper pipe – clean copper tubing – may qualify as #1 copper as long as it is free of fittings, insulation, paint, solder and other materials. In fact, most copper tubing and copper pipes can be of #1 grade providing they show few signs of corrosion and have their fittings removed. Trace amounts of oxidation on the tubing are generally acceptable.
    Bare Bright Copper

Bare bright copper is by far the first among the types a scrap dealer would like to find. Also referred to as “bright & shiny copper,” it is the most valuable and high-paying grade around. It refers exclusively to bare, uncoated and unalloyed wire or cable – no thinner than 16 gauge in thickness – which is of #1 copper quality. Copper piping is not included within the classification.
    As its name implies, samples must be stripped of insulation and other materials. Furthermore the metal must be free from any paint, impurities or signs of tarnishing. This includes any visible oxidation, and very negligible amounts of patina on the copper are allowable.
    Blak bart and crashbandicoot like this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    2205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price.
    vinegar will work, go to dollar store. it will take off the tarnish but if you held it up to bright and shiny you can see a difference. probably up to your scrap yard on what they call it.
    I now hit 6-8 yardsales every Saturday. That is all I can find in this entire town. I can still fill the back of my SUV with recycle items and most of the time at no charge.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links