Seem Scrapping $ has gotten better lately .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not turn in my Copper or Brass but I was told 'Yesterday' $4.25 per LB for Copper Bare Bright & $4.20 for #1 Copper Pipe .

I have lots of Pipe & wire found while detecting ...It is clean of dirt ( Brass ? as well ) & other metals , It's just patina-ed or Tarnished.

Is this still # 1 Copper ? or Clean Brass ? .

Thanks

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just patina-ed or Tarnished.

Is this still # 1 Copper ? or Clean Brass ? .

Not in my experience, it would be #2, though maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price. I don't remember there being a price difference for dark old vs bright new brass at my yard but it's been a long time since I took anything in. There was a difference between red brass and yellow brass though, red being more valuable.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those places dont care about shine, they just want it bare.
They know obviously shiny copper is new and clean so that's why they say that.

They will also often negotiate on price if you have a big load.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in my experience, it would be #2, though maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price. I don't remember there being a price difference for dark old vs bright new brass at my yard but it's been a long time since I took anything in. There was a difference between red brass and yellow brass though, red being more valuable.

Yea .
#2 would have welds , paint and maybe burnt plastic .

Ill Get # 1 price or ill sit on it as I been thinking about getting a 'Devil' or similar type of furnace and melting down my Brass & copper into bars just for a hobby .

So either way it was all free to me & ill make $ . I appreciate your reply as well as the others .

Davers

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[h=4]#2 Copper[/h][FONT=&quot]This grade of copper can be identified by its somewhat dirty appearance. It should be comprised of miscellaneous unalloyed wire, pipe or solid metal that continues to have solder, paint or any kind of coating on it. Additionally, its minimum copper content should be 94-96%. In order to qualify for this grade, wire must be bare of insulation and be thinner than a 16th of an inch in diameter. The ends and fittings of #2 copper are generally accepted at dealerships, and oxidation of some wire, pipe or tubing is allowed as long as damage is not excessive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]#2 copper is the third most valuable grade available.[/FONT]
[h=4]#1 Copper[/h][FONT=&quot]#1 copper is the second most profitable type to trade in. To be classified as #1, the copper should be comprised of bus bars, clippings, commutator segments and wire of at least 1/16th of an inch in diameter. It should also be clean in appearance, unalloyed and uncoated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The most valuable type of copper pipe – clean copper tubing – may qualify as #1 copper as long as it is free of fittings, insulation, paint, solder and other materials. In fact, most copper tubing and copper pipes can be of #1 grade providing they show few signs of corrosion and have their fittings removed. Trace amounts of oxidation on the tubing are generally acceptable.[/FONT]
[h=4]Bare Bright Copper[/h][FONT=&quot]Bare bright copper is by far the first among the types a scrap dealer would like to find. Also referred to as “bright & shiny copper,” it is the most valuable and high-paying grade around. It refers exclusively to bare, uncoated and unalloyed wire or cable – no thinner than 16 gauge in thickness – which is of #1 copper quality. Copper piping is not included within the classification.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As its name implies, samples must be stripped of insulation and other materials. Furthermore the metal must be free from any paint, impurities or signs of tarnishing. This includes any visible oxidation, and very negligible amounts of patina on the copper are allowable.[/FONT]

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe if you soaked it in acid and made it shiny again you could get the #1 price.
vinegar will work, go to dollar store. it will take off the tarnish but if you held it up to bright and shiny you can see a difference. probably up to your scrap yard on what they call it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread