Copper wire -- how much does it take to make a pound?

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007
It is REALLY beginning to look like metals hold their value more than the dollar.

But if a worldwide recession hits, the demand is going to dry up. Free market economy at work.

abyss_explorer

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
How do you tell if copper is #1 copper or #2 copper?

My local scrap yard said they buy unstripped copper for 10 cents a pound and stripped copper for 90 cents a pound. According to everyones rates posted here it sounds like this scrap yard is trying to rip me off.

I live in Hawaii maybe that makes a difference.

Scott

OP
OP
K

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC
I'll leave it to the more experienced to define difference between #1 and 2. In metro DC unstripped goes for .80/lb and bare brite goes for 2.40/pound as of last Saturday. Sounds like your prices are really low. And, aren't you closer to China?

PS, I'm native Hawaii, born in Kapiolani Hospital many years ago -- Dad is a retired navy submariner.

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007
#1.....#2... How do you know?

I started calling and asking. Where I live 14 guage and up is#1. Call and ask.

abyss_explorer

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Hi Kittywitty, Thanks for the info. I think we are actually in the middle of no where. So everything we want to buy costs extra and everything we want to sell gets deducted by the shipping cost. lol

I am not orginally from Hawaii like you, but I did live on Oahu for 6 years and now on Kauai for 7 years. I love Kauai much more than Oahu but we pay the price to live in paridise.

Thanks for the info.

Dosamigos I will call and check. Thanks.

abyss

gremlin1287

Aug 13, 2009
Glad I found this when I did. The 12lbs. of unstripped coax scraps I have laying around will actually end up getting me more unstripped vs. stripping them down.

wardon

Greenie
Aug 30, 2007
I have always used a pencil lead as a gauge smaller is #2 larger is #1 works for me. wardon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread