silverplated tableware : what does I S mean ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
kinda gettin in gear to learn more about silver and silverplate.knife fork and spoons.seen a lot of silver or plated table ware at the auctions cheap lately. everybody knows .marked sterling is silver. or hallmarked european.but what does I S stand for.does it mean silver.? i have quite a few pieces marked I S .AND IT WILL SAY A COMPANY NAME ALSO. also i assume that its plated over copper.so that should make thrift store silverplate a good deal at 5 to 25 cents ea? also a lot of plate is by famous companies. rogers,oneida ,tiffany.even if plated might be worth $$ as long as not damaged ?

tanner

Dec 5, 2007
always test it with a magnet.....i was given jewelery last week that was marked sterling silver plain as day but stuck to a magnet like there was no tomorrow...

skippy

Greenie
Aug 2, 2007
Most (all?) old plated silverware is plated on a base of 'nickel silver' - an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc (60:20:20 or so)
If you can find someone who will buy it, it's worth similar to brass or copper

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
IS is also used to denote silver inlay, which is a heavier form of plate, particularly in the heavy wear areas of flatware. Bottom line, it is higher quality plate ware, but still a coating over base metal.

old_okie

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i was told IS means inlaid silver.a plating so thin it isnt worth recovering even if silver prices doubled from now.this checks out on wikipedia. international silver is a company not a rating.kind of confusing.its interesting how they made the IS to look like a hallmark. which would denote good quality,when in fact its the sign of crap.well not crap actually, some IS pcs can be pretty valuable from the right maker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread