Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Aug 2006
    WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
    MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
    2 times

silverplated tableware : what does I S mean ?

kinda gettin in gear to learn more about silver and silverplate.knife fork and spoons.seen a lot of silver or plated table ware at the auctions cheap lately. everybody knows .marked sterling is silver. or hallmarked european.but what does I S stand for.does it mean silver.? i have quite a few pieces marked I S .AND IT WILL SAY A COMPANY NAME ALSO. also i assume that its plated over copper.so that should make thrift store silverplate a good deal at 5 to 25 cents ea? also a lot of plate is by famous companies. rogers,oneida ,tiffany.even if plated might be worth $$ as long as not damaged ?
    SPINNER VALUE KEY: RED is METAL DETECT.LT  BLUE is AUCTION. DARK BLUE is GOLD MINING.GREEN is THRIFT STORE.YELLOW is GEM GRUBBIN.PINK is COIN ROLL HUNT.BROWN is BEACH AND SHALLOW WATER HUNT.ORANGE JUNK PICK AND OR METAL SCRAPPING

us
    Jan 2007
    Western New York
    Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: silverplated tableware : what does I S mean ?

I S stands for International Silver Co.

GG

Dec 2007

always test it with a magnet.....i was given jewelery last week that was marked sterling silver plain as day but stuck to a magnet like there was no tomorrow...

Aug 2007

Most (all?) old plated silverware is plated on a base of 'nickel silver' - an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc (60:20:20 or so)
    If you can find someone who will buy it, it's worth similar to brass or copper

Jun 2007
    3 times

IS is also used to denote silver inlay, which is a heavier form of plate, particularly in the heavy wear areas of flatware. Bottom line, it is higher quality plate ware, but still a coating over base metal.

old_okie

Aug 2006
    WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
    MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
    2 times

i was told IS means inlaid silver.a plating so thin it isnt worth recovering even if silver prices doubled from now.this checks out on wikipedia. international silver is a company not a rating.kind of confusing.its interesting how they made the IS to look like a hallmark. which would denote good quality,when in fact its the sign of crap.well not crap actually, some IS pcs can be pretty valuable from the right maker.
    SPINNER VALUE KEY: RED is METAL DETECT.LT  BLUE is AUCTION. DARK BLUE is GOLD MINING.GREEN is THRIFT STORE.YELLOW is GEM GRUBBIN.PINK is COIN ROLL HUNT.BROWN is BEACH AND SHALLOW WATER HUNT.ORANGE JUNK PICK AND OR METAL SCRAPPING

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors