OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was defending Baldwin in the first post on the thread about Baldwin. Not defending him on the second thread about Phil.

My posts on this thread, though they express my view that the networks are overly PC, were not to defend either of these guys. Only to point out the "Nobody cares until their Ox gets gored" factor in play here.

As for the biblical scriptures referring to homosexuality - At best up for debate.

Regardless, the sponsors don't look at Phil's comments as acceptable. Though i'm sure you'll still be able to buy the odd lots of his products at Hobby Lobby.

BTW, Baldwin didn't express an anti gay POV as did Phil. He used a term many men have most likely used themselves. The difference? There is always a camera and microphone pointed at him.

Phil and rest of family will win. Either A&E will bring him back on a pretext or family will boycott or leave series...

Phil expressed his religious views, he was not gay bashing.

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Phil and rest of family will win. Either A&E will bring him back on a pretext or family will boycott or leave series...

Phil expressed his religious views, he was not gay bashing.

Baldwin used a term many men use in man on man confrontations, he wasn't gay bashing either.

I think after Phil serves a time out and things have a chance to calm down A&E will take the pulse of it's sponsors and make a decision. I agree that he'll probably come back. After-all, his viewers are more Hobby Lobby than Pier 1 Imports.

Lastly, while i agree that Phil was only expressing a belief or an opinion, in biz you can't do that! In biz you are always neutral.

If Phil showed us anything - it is how inexperienced he is dealing with people outside of small geographic area. Within his neck of the woods most are like thinkers or at least understand where he was coming from. Even if they don't agree with him, no harm no foul! Once outside that localized group understanding, things change. There are no free passes. A lesson Phil and sons have learned the hard way.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure MANY networks have made similar offers to them also.....

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Baldwin used a term many men use in man on man confrontations, he wasn't gay bashing either.

I think after Phil serves a time out and things have a chance to calm down A&E will take the pulse of it's sponsors and make a decision. I agree that he'll probably come back. After-all, his viewers are more Hobby Lobby than Pier 1 Imports.

Lastly, while i agree that Phil was only expressing a belief or an opinion, in biz you can't do that! In biz you are always neutral.

If Phil showed us anything - it is how inexperienced he is dealing with people outside of small geographic area. Within his neck of the woods most are like thinkers or at least understand where he was coming from. Even if they don't agree with him, no harm no foul! Once outside that localized group understanding, things change. There are no free passes. A lesson Phil and sons have learned the hard way.

The only way evil continues is for good men to say NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are so far off base it is funny....It is called standing up for your beliefs..

A&E knew about the interview and what was said before it was ever published, they wanted a reason to try and stop them from expressing their religious views on the show and it backfired on them.

This hasn't hurt Robertson family one bit, they are not going to change, they are still being paid and they have standing offers just waiting for them. A&E is who is learning the lesson..

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native Floridian:

And not one of those 200 posts addressed A&E doing what it thought was the right thing. People here have supported Hobby Lobby and Chik-fil-A (probably not spelled correctly). But when A&E takes a stand despite the money - well, the horse is on the other foot.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Yea, its always entertaining to watch the spin masters screw themselves into the ground. I remember a day when the right wing applied its "standards" to itself, I guess those days are long gone.

Its all about promoting the private sector until someone is held to a standard by a private company that the righties don't share. Then, all of a sudden...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yea, its always entertaining to watch the spin masters screw themselves into the ground. I remember a day when the right wing applied its "standards" to itself, I guess those days are long gone.

Its all about promoting the private sector until someone is held to a standard by a private company that the righties don't share. Then, all of a sudden...
Go team !... yawn

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 88

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem looks to be perceptions. The left are okay with gay bashing epithets, nasty ad hominem attacks on women, and presidents making snide remarks about handicapped children as long as they come from the left. If someone on the right is asked to express their opinion on a subject and does so without hate, the left makes a correlation that it is the right that is at fault.

A good reason why it is wrong to compromise with the left.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
TheRingFinder:

Phil Robertson had a few things to say - and he said them.

A&E had something to say, and it said it.

That's America. Private enterprise and all that. Robertson was dope-slapped by the invisible hand.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
TheRingFinder:

Phil Robertson had a few things to say - and he said them.

A&E had something to say, and it said it.

That's America. Private enterprise and all that. Robertson was dope-slapped by the invisible hand.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
Dope slapped.. LMAO... Private enterprise we agree on.. BREAKING NEWS!! Cracker Barrel apologizes -

From Cracker Barrel Old Country Store

Dear Cracker Barrel Customer: When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done. You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings.

You flat out told us we were wrong. We listened. Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores. And, we apologize for offending you. We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different. We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
worldtalker:

You did not understand correctly what I wrote. Phil Robertson spoke out about what he thought is right. Then A&E spoke out - and acted, which is even more important - about what it thought is right.

Unlike some fools on TN, I save my Nazi analogies for real Nazis. Here's a powerful thought, however, in light of your post: "The road to Auschwitz was built by hate, but paved with indifference" (Sir Ian Kershaw).

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo[SUP][/SUP]

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
worldtalker:

You did not understand correctly what I wrote. Phil Robertson spoke out about what he thought is right. Then A&E spoke out - and acted, which is even more important - about what it thought is right.

Unlike some fools on TN, I save my Nazi analogies for real Nazis. Here's a powerful thought, however, in light of your post: "The road to Auschwitz was built by hate, but paved with indifference" (Sir Ian Kershaw).

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Well,

Let me say,

if you saw a man walking down the street eating a hotdog with His nose,

would you think that was right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread