A&E goes duck hunting, shoots self in foot

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the first amendment to the constitution prevents the government from limiting your freedom of speech, not your employer.

"Religious discrimination is treating individuals differently in their employment because of their religion, their religious beliefs and practices, and/or their request for accommodation (a change in a workplace rule or policy) of their religious beliefs and practices. It also includes treating individuals differently in their employment because of their lack of religious belief or practice. If you have been rejected for employment, fired, harassed or otherwise harmed in your employment because of your religion, your religious beliefs and practices, and/or your request for accommodation of their religious beliefs and practices, you may have suffered unlawful religious discrimination."

http://www.workplacefairness.org/religion?agree=yes#1

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just read that Jesse Jackson is demanding a meeting with A&E.. LMAO at the most racist man in America trying to call Phil Robertson a racist so he can try to stay relevant. Dude you're NOT MLK. You're just an angry Black racist who's 15 minutes of fame came & went a long time ago. Let it go man. Next the "Panthers" will declare war on duck hunters and protest outside Cabelas & Bass Pro Shop stores...

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just read that Jesse Jackson is demanding a meeting with A&E.. LMAO at the most racist man in America trying to call Phil Robertson a racist so he can try to stay relevant. Dude you're NOT MLK. You're just an angry Black racist who's 15 minutes of fame came & went a long time ago. Let it go man. Next the "Panthers" will declare war on duck hunters and protest outside Cabelas & Bass Pro Shop stores...

This is a case when a case of duck(I mean duct tape) is needed.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Can't stand the man,,!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Religious discrimination is treating individuals differently in their employment because of their religion, their religious beliefs and practices, and/or their request for accommodation (a change in a workplace rule or policy) of their religious beliefs and practices. It also includes treating individuals differently in their employment because of their lack of religious belief or practice. If you have been rejected for employment, fired, harassed or otherwise harmed in your employment because of your religion, your religious beliefs and practices, and/or your request for accommodation of their religious beliefs and practices, you may have suffered unlawful religious discrimination."

Religious Discrimination - Workplace Fairness

Same goes for cannibalism then?

I finally watched "Duck Dynasty" and could hardly believe that people watch it. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies, but without the talent and it's not funny. And they're not acting.

'Course, I'm not into soap operas either.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same goes for cannibalism then?

I finally watched "Duck Dynasty" and could hardly believe that people watch it. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies, but without the talent and it's not funny. And they're not acting.

'Course, I'm not into soap operas either.

Thing is its not yours or my job or right to say what is worth while for people to watch.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The " reverend" Jackson is not only a hypocrite, he is also a race baiting opportunist and perpetuator of hate and division!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just read an interesting article on the subject of this whole Duck Dynasty thing. Freedom of speech, I think most will agree, is not the issue since he may or may not have had a cleverly worded contract against making un-approved comments. Buttt.. Employer discrimination because of religious beliefs could cost A&E a ton of money if they don't back away gracefully from this issue.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is its not yours or my job or right to say what is worth while for people to watch.

The first sentence was a reply to your assertion.

The rest was my opinion only. I think I can have one? I've noticed lots of them on TNet.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read an interesting article on the subject of this whole Duck Dynasty thing. Freedom of speech, I think most will agree, is not the issue since he may or may not have had a cleverly worded contract against making un-approved comments. Buttt.. Employer discrimination because of religious beliefs could cost A&E a ton of money if they don't back away gracefully from this issue.

Same as most contracts, I'd presume. The higher the stakes, the tighter they are.

Of course you have a right to your opinion, but not to cause harm to your employer. This is not rocket science.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Same as most contracts, I'd presume. The higher the stakes, the tighter they are.

Of course you have a right to your opinion, but not to cause harm to your employer. This is not rocket science.
Did you even read what I posted ? ANY employer who discriminates against an employee because of their religious beliefs is breaking the law. Many many millions of dollars have been awarded by judges against big companies for this very same issue. I was simply posting that this is another angle to the story that hasn't been mentioned. Considering the background of the Robertson family I doubt very much there is a clause in their contract that says A&E is allow to punish them for their religious beliefs and that the Robertsons would have signed it if there was. It's against the law man. Not something that would be up for negotiation. "Rocket science" has nothing to do with the fact that religious discrimination in the workplace is illegal.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you even read what I posted ? ANY employer who discriminates against an employee because of their religious beliefs is breaking the law. Many many millions of dollars have been awarded by judges against big companies for this very same issue. I was simply posting that this is another angle to the story that hasn't been mentioned. Considering the background of the Robertson family I doubt very much there is a clause in their contract that says A&E is allow to punish them for their religious beliefs and that the Robertsons would have signed it if there was. It's against the law man. Not something that would be up for negotiation. "Rocket science" has nothing to do with the fact that religious discrimination in the workplace is illegal.

Yeah, I "even" read it.

You can't religious belief all over your employer and claim it's your right to do so. On your own time, yes. You owe your employer. You can't let your glee in rolling around in Phil's remarks cloud your judgement, at least if you are a network attorney.

Get a copy of the contract, post it, and then I'll continue the "conversation".

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Word is the Robertsons are not employees of A&E. So EEOC laws do not apply. They are contractors of A&E or a sub producer of the show. So, most likely, not an employment issue, but a contract issue. And, without seeing the contract there is no way to know if either side has breached any of the terms.

From the outside looking in it doesn't look like A&E has done anything to Phil that other networks have done with other stars. While they have taken him out of shows for the immediate future, something all networks do from time to time, as long as he continues to get paid, no contract breach. But, again, without the contract in front of us no way to know for sure.

The bigger issue, that continues to get be ignored by some, that while cloaked in religion, Phil's comments are considered hate speech. As for his comments about Black people, - while Jessie Jackson gets pinned as racist for his pro black anti white comments, Phil does not get the same treatment for his pro white anti black comments.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I find most interesting about all of this is the topic covers gays and transexuals etc., religion and racism. It has all the mixings of deep South, white hillbilly rants usually deemed, mostly by the left, as homophobic, bible-thumping and racist and yet, A&E are the only ones risking losing any money in the deal. How come all of the stores in America from Walmart to Tractor Supply aren't pulling all of their Dynasty products off the shelves and declaring themselves anti-Robertsons? Don't these same stores that refused to carry Martha Stewart products or team jerseys of athletes that get into trouble have a strong opinion on the things Robertson has said? Apparently it will cost too much to take a "social justice" stand on this one and I think the corporate guys are seeing which way the winds are blowing. We may be slowly turning our backs on political correctness. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (PS....J. Jackson doesn't get paid if he has nothing to rant about)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NF.................just curious. What did Roberson say that was anti-black? He may have voiced his personal opinion about his perception of how blacks delt with their social position but he based in on first-hand experience and how he interpreted it. He may have a rose-colored view of blacks and their sufferage but I don't think he is "anti-black". Of course that's just my view. I don't think anyone can be as honestly religious as he claims to be and be a racist at the same time.
I have to agree with Bum; I think I watched parts of maybe two of these shows and didn't find it entertaining at all but that's just me................me and Bum Luck that is. :)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yeah, I "even" read it.

You can't religious belief all over your employer and claim it's your right to do so. On your own time, yes. You owe your employer. You can't let your glee in rolling around in Phil's remarks cloud your judgement, at least if you are a network attorney.

Get a copy of the contract, post it, and then I'll continue the "conversation".
LOL... And why in hell would I want to continue any conversation with you when it's so obvious you're only here to argue with people. You've proven it time and time again. You're constantly rude to people you disagree with and I'm pretty sick & tired of all that crap. I don't need a "copy of the contract" to know that religious discrimination is illegal. You can't write into a contract that it's ok to break the law... Even if you do like to pretend to be a lawyer on the internet... You even say "on your own time yes".. He was on his own time when he did the interview.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
NF you're an intelligent guy. Is it your position that Jesse Jackson is not a racist ? Simple yes or no question without all the window dressing. A simple answer without a bunch of smoke would be appreciated. Just curious.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Treasure Hunter:

I have a right to offer an opinion about television, movies, books, or any other entertainment medium. See the famous Cherry Sisters decision.

I don't have a right to tell you not to watch it. If people have the right to say Duck Dynasty is worth watching, Bum Luck has an equal right to write it's garbage.

It's a two-way street. Just as Phil Robertson has the right to his beliefs and views, so does A&E.

Happy New Year to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions