JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, all...I just read a history book that said before the AK-47 was invented people were killed by other things! Who'da thunkit! They actually had wars and dictators then too. Son of a gun, the bumper sticker is right after all. Guns don't kill people...just sayin'

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The holy grail in my humble opinion. Parts kits are available but they are much more expensive and much more difficult to put together than an Ak47. Brand new civilian models are available from DS Arms FN FAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've a friend who immigrated from South Africa and carried a FN FAL in the 1970s. Loved it. Said it could hole an engine block at 1/4 mile. Here's a veteran of the Rhodesian War:
Rhodesian service BSA 1960 L1A1 FN FAL kit : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I've a friend who immigrated from South Africa and carried a FN FAL in the 1970s. Loved it. Said it could hole an engine block at 1/4 mile. Here's a veteran of the Rhodesian War:
Rhodesian service BSA 1960 L1A1 FN FAL kit : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
Very cool. The seller, Adam762, is actually a friend of mine from another forum. He's always got some interesting stuff. Here is a parts kit from a Rhodessian "para" folding stock parts kit I owned a few years ago. Extremely rare. About 40 of these kits came into the country in the 90s. Several thousand fixed stock kits came in. The Rhodesian rifles are one of the most interesting of all the FAL rifles because of the huge variety of manufacturers. Because of the arms embargo in affect at the time they sourced them from wherever they could. The kit I had was all FN Belgian manufacture. The one Adam is selling is British. There were several that came from Cuba, South Africa, Australia, Germany and other places. Alot of them had the manufacturers markings and serial numbers scrubbed to hide their identity. Interesting time in history.

Attachments

• r1 para.jpg
    r1 para.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And it would be perfectly legal :)
But now you've exposed yourself to OSHA LOL

Not even close to legal. A machine gun is defines as a weapon capable of firing more than one projectile for each pull of the trigger. In this case the "trigger" would be considered the switch for the electric motor. That WILL get you a rather lengthy stay at the federal level.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
loco oro:

You want to read an interesting story, look up why Alfred Nobel started the Nobel prizes...

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually RJC if you had a complete parts kit AND a stripped reciever that's got the extra hole in it you have a problem even if it's not assembled. The government calls that "constructive possession" Don't do it.

Add constructive intent into that too. Even a FA kit AND a receiver WITHOUT any extra holes can be considered constructive intent. As they would say, it only takes a drill to add the holes and that is that.

Remember we are dealing with people who tried to say shoelaces used in the appropriate way can be considered an automatic weapon.

And yes, FA is fun, but a waste of ammo. That is why the U.S. Armed Forces went to a three round burst instead of FA.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Add constructive intent into that too. Even a FA kit AND a receiver WITHOUT any extra holes can be considered constructive intent. As they would say, it only takes a drill to add the holes and that is that.

Remember we are dealing with people who tried to say shoelaces used in the appropriate way can be considered an automatic weapon.

And yes, FA is fun, but a waste of ammo. That is why the U.S. Armed Forces went to a three round burst instead of FA.

Any forum post that degenerates to the level that a lawyer needs to weigh in is over for me :) :violent1:

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Actually, the 3-round burst was a result of trigger happy draftees who were issued an AR15 and a few hours training. Note there has never been a 3-round burst option for the AK. :)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loco oro:

You want to read an interesting story, look up why Alfred Nobel started the Nobel prizes...

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Hi Dr Edward Teller had regrets for his invention also.

tinpan

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not even close to legal. A machine gun is defines as a weapon capable of firing more than one projectile for each pull of the trigger. In this case the "trigger" would be considered the switch for the electric motor. That WILL get you a rather lengthy stay at the federal level.

Nah,I'd keep it at my brothers house:sign10:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i almost bought one cut up and in a suitcase at a yard sale here in tn.could of got it for 5 dollars.i still try to convince myself i did the right thing as not buying it

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i go to yard sales to try to up my money and knew i would of bought it only to resale,just did not want to sell something like that to someone i did not know.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit---M1's. I remember those days. A Gun Show in Ashville, NC a dealer had M1 Garands (ms) in wooden barrels advertised as Tomato Stakes. I was about 14 or 15 and already shooting with the local gun club. Had my own M1 at the time. I use to have it laced to the handle bars of my bicycle while I rode the 3 or so miles to the local range. Can't remember what class I shot in at the time but did compete in the 1000 yard event when it happened.

But, anyway my Dad bought us 2 of the Tomato Stakes. I think he got them both for around $50 bucks. With a little work, both turned out to be good shooters. Those were the days.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI I thought history recorded the Lee Enfeild 303 as one the best rifle The jungle carbine version AIA M10 A-1 had a version chambered 7.62x39mm [Russian] so it could use AK-47 Mags

tinpan

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love how the least knowledgeable tell others they know all the answers.
anyone who listens to this persons "knowledge " about weapons construction is in for a nasty surprise from the BATF.
one does not need a parts kit and receiver to be arrested by BATF, and the federal judge will agree.
one proscribed part will have you in court.

one clue. any and all modifications to give more than one round per pull of the trigger is a violation.
an electric motor mounted near a multiple barrel weapon is a violation.
you can not mount the motor, remove the belt and stand there nananana...doesn't fly with the federals.

this is not the place for resume, so do some diligence prior to listening to the misinformation.

Home | ATF

again, this thread for to honor a great inventor...who harbored guilt for how effective his weapon became.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions