A Christmas Eve t-net truce?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sitting here reading this morning about the truce that took place along parts the Western Front in 1914 during WW1 at Christmas time. Fascinating to me..... was that German, British and French soldiers openly walked across enemy lines and exchanged "gifts" and sang songs together. Even playing games of soccer and assisting each other in the burial of their dead.

That being said, I wondered..... could there could possibly be a thread here in this forum where there were no arguments, insults, or anything negative posted about anyone or anyone's viewpoints or politics or religion. A thread where only good will and good cheer is expressed. What do you think? Is it possible?

Best wishes to all my fellow T-netters, and "Season's Greetings!" I mean that sincerely. How ya doing today?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am doing OK this mornin'
It is the first sunny day in quite awhile here in my part of Michigan.
We had a fairly good ice storm a few days ago, and being outside right now, the combination of sunlight on ice covered trees is breath takingly beautiful.

A day of no fighting or bickering would be refreshing.
Anybody doing anything exciting today ? I am going ice fishin' and shopping later..yep I always wait till Christmas eve..to many people for me to handle any other time.

I hope everybody has a safe and very merry Christmas, or just a happy holiday.

Mike

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm in. It's not like we're ever going to agree on anything anyway. lol.. No idea what I'm doing today yet other than "getting off my lazy azz & going to the store for butter". I'm still waiting on my "instructions".. Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Mike,

Thanks for the reply, and glad to see that you are enjoying the great Michigan outdoors. I bet it is beautiful there.

We will be having friends and family here at the ranch tonight for a Christmas Eve dinner. Lots to do to get ready for that.

Have a very happy holiday yourself sir!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in. It's not like we're ever going to agree on anything anyway. lol.. No idea what I'm doing today yet other than "getting off my lazy azz & going to the store for butter". I'm still waiting on my "instructions".. Merry Christmas to all.

Bandit, that's funny. I know when I go shopping for the wife I always seem to either forget something or not get the exact item I was supposed to. lol

Have great holiday!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
BC1969:

Your post brought back a beautiful memory. I grew up in Southern Ohio, and once every several winters we'd have rain that would turn to ice. Everything would be covered in ice, down to the smallest twig.

One year that happened, then it started to snow. I got up early to get a jump on shoveling out the sidewalk and driveway (Grandmother's house next door was next).

It was still dark, the snow was falling with the streetlight coming through and the dazzling lights of everything covered in ice. Just spectacularly beautiful. I stood there in the falling snow watching it all, because even as a teenager I knew I never wanted to forget that few minutes.

I never did.

Merry Christmas to all -

~ The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
thrillathahunt:

This story became much better known through the publication of Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce by Stanley Weintraub (2002). I seem to remember a (tv?) movie made from this book.

I highly recommend it. I've shared it with others, and it is an eye-opening story! The soldiers were getting along so well officers on both sides became concerned they wouldn't start fighting again. Many German soldiers had worked in London and other parts of England, vacationed there, and spoke English well. Considering the incredible slaughter during WW I - that accomplished nothing other than death, destruction, and maiming of millions, and directly leading to WW II - how great it would have been if those soldiers had refused to continue...

Merry Christmas to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any politics, insults, attacks in this thread will be deleted insults earn timeout. ...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it would be nice to see everyone get what they want without hurting anybody else

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in and out and in and out.......
Already made up 60 something date and walnut cookies, got 2 coca cola salads in the fridge chillin, may hafta make another cookies and coca cola salad tonight. NUTS, have I got enough nuts! LOL! (Kleahea is just outta the question today, maybe for new year)

No matter what, we're all stuck on this planet together. Though I'll end up butchering and paraphrasing DizzyDiggers signature(I'm from the south, that's what I do..... lol).
Peace out,
the well-readneck cat! rawr!

Be compassionate and caring to the elderly, sick, poor, and those in need. You never know, when you may be one of them.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I might have to stop by the local fire station on the way to the store & buy some fireworks for later tonight. They sell them on the 4th and at Christmas time. I love Tennessee.. LoL

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt:

This story became much better known through the publication of Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce by Stanley Weintraub (2002). I seem to remember a (tv?) movie made from this book.

I highly recommend it. I've shared it with others, and it is an eye-opening story! The soldiers were getting along so well officers on both sides became concerned they wouldn't start fighting again. Many German soldiers had worked in London and other parts of England, vacationed there, and spoke English well. Considering the incredible slaughter during WW I - that accomplished nothing other than death, destruction, and maiming of millions, and directly leading to WW II - how great it would have been if those soldiers had refused to continue...

Merry Christmas to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
Thank you for that sir. Have a wonderful Christmas!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in and out and in and out.......
Already made up 60 something date and walnut cookies, got 2 coca cola salads in the fridge chillin, may hafta make another cookies and coca cola salad tonight. NUTS, have I got enough nuts! LOL! (Kleahea is just outta the question today, maybe for new year)

No matter what, we're all stuck on this planet together. Though I'll end up butchering and paraphrasing DizzyDiggers signature(I'm from the south, that's what I do..... lol).
Peace out,
the well-readneck cat! rawr!

Be compassionate and caring to the elderly, sick, poor, and those in need. You never know, when you may be one of them.

Hey Pat, my wife made 170 dark chocolate peanut clusters......she made me sample a few and I think I've already gained 5 pounds.

Coca Cola salad??

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coca Cola Salad

1 6oz sugar free cherry jello (or 2 3oz pckgs)
1 can Oregon pitted dark sweet cherries, drained (not the tart cherries)
1 small can pineapple tidbits, drained (or slices, cut up)
1 cup pecans (or walnuts)
1 cup hot water
1 12oz diet coca cola

Heat water to boil and mix with jello in medium to large bowl. Dissolve jello. Mix in cherries, pineapple, and nuts.
Mix well. Pour in chilled coca cola, mix well. Set in fridge allow to chill and set.

It's a little guilty pleasure those with sugar issues may can enjoy and not have to feel so guilty. The only sugars are in the fruits.
My father loved this dessert. I can't make it or eat it, without thinking of him.
Merry Christmas all!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
pat-tekker-cat:

Did you every cook a pork shoulder in a slow cooker with Coca-Cola? Can't be diet and can't be Pepsi. Only regular Coke seems to work.

A pork shoulder, a can of Coke and a half can of chicken broth to start. Maybe a cut-up onion. 8 hours later, pour out the sauce into a heavy duty frying pan and reduce by about half over low heat.

Makes a great "Super Bowl" sandwich!

Merry Christmas to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I got a pork shoulder for New Years to put in the smoker. May hafta try that coke and chicken broth, thanks!
I know I gotta pour some coke over my battery terminal. LOL! It's having an issue, too! LOL!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to you all! I sit here in my home office looking out at the 2 feet of snow.
It's -15 degrees and I am dreaming of Florida Treasures!!
Eating wayyyyy to many oreo truffles and wondering if I willl fit into my wetsuit this spring.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year & DRIVE SAFELY!!!!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have to stop by the local fire station on the way to the store & buy some fireworks for later tonight. They sell them on the 4th and at Christmas time. I love Tennessee.. LoL

Fireworks are big here in Texas on New Years Eve as well.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to you all! I sit here in my home office looking out at the 2 feet of snow.
It's -15 degrees and I am dreaming of Florida Treasures!!
Eating wayyyyy to many oreo truffles and wondering if I willl fit into my wetsuit this spring.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year & DRIVE SAFELY!!!!

We'll just have to metal detect that much more this spring and summer to burn off all these calories! lol

Have a wonderful Christmas Ringfinder!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread