need help

sperry2487

Sep 19, 2013
Im very new to metal detecting and I'm having problems digging up my plugs, I make pretty nice plug but I end up killing the grass where I made the plugs what can I do? I've only dug in my own yard because of fear I'm going to ruin it for others so I've only been hitting playgrounds and wooded areas and feel like I could be missing out on great finds

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing is a guaranteed from not having dead plugs. Here is some things to keep in mind or think about. To many variables to point to one thing.

Cut the plug in a triangular, like a V, shape on two sides, leaving the top of the V uncut and fold it back over on the side that was not cut. Maybe the roots and runners from outside the plug will help keep the plug from dieing. Cut the plug deep. The more undisturbed roots there is, the better of a chance it has to keep growing.

Water - if the ground is dry, water the yard the day before a hunt or hunt after a rain. When the ground is dry, the grass is already under stress. By cutting a plug when the grass is barely hanging on is almost a guarantee it will die.

Soil type - in some soils a plug is imposable to cut and hold together (like to sandy or rocky). The soil will fall away from the roots which will increase the chance of it dieing. In some cases, a little poured on where the plug will be cut will help hold the soil to the roots.

To give the grass a head start on mending, after the plug is put back in place and packed (stomp on) down, sprinkle a small hand of organic (organic because chemical fertilizer will burn the grass and you) fertilizer on top of the plug and wet it with a little water. If hunting in someone’s yard and they see how much trouble you are going threw to not to kill the grass, they will over look an occasionally dead plug.

Sometimes it’s best not to hunt in an area where plugs are going to die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread