Expierence with East Texas Metal Detectors

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I ordered a new switch from Keith Wills, $35 later I received a used switch with solder and a piece of wire on one terminal. There were also signs of ware. The switch did not fit the Detector without a lot of mods which was not stated when I bought it. Terminals were turned the wrong direction and not far enough apart to even go in the PCB. I emailed Keith for some help and this is the email replay I received.
Though others might want to know how he treats his customers.

First email from Keith when I ordered,
We have them, they no longer make the switch, ours are an easy replacement switch and hold up better than original. They are $35.00 each and postage in the US is $4.00. Our address is on our website at www.brokendetector.com Hope this helped, Keith Wills, owner

Replay email after I tried to use the switch.
It was a new part and I just put two of them in yesterday, this happens when you do not know what your doing. It is not the original switch for that company went out of business some 15 years ago and as Garrett will tell you, my switch has worked for everyone in that 15 years and it will work fine in yours too. Sorry you had trouble, might of been worth a phone call to me to help, but you elected to do it yourself. The switch id brand new and I tested it and tinted the control leads for you before I shipped it so you would be sure to make a good solder joint on the leads. It does not fit the holes exactly, but a simple clip the leads and wire to the holes workes perfectly everytime. Keith Wills, owner

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, pretty defensive isn't he? Looks like he jumped to a conclusion without even discussing it with you. I've noticed that atitude more and more and I can't figure out why. Live and learn I guess? Monty

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ReidMan, I ran into a similar problem with a Whites BullsEye II a friend asked me to fix. The switch is not available? The unit was only 2 years old, come on Whites. I research electronic parts as part of my job. Found a good one and with modifications (silicone to help hold it in place) made the repair. It has worked for 3 months. I told him as long as he has it I can fix it. Really I am not a electronics GURU but any electronics technician who can solder and look up parts on the computer should be able to help.

Ed D

OP
OP
ReidMan

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the problem is I am out $35.00 for a switch from a guy a lot of people recommended, The detector is not worth putting any more money into. I just though others might want to know the customer service of East Texas Metal Detectors before it's to late.

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
$35 for a switch? That must be some switch. If I could sell all my switches for even half that price I could retire tomorrow.
Since he claimed it would be a new switch (and it wasn't), he owes you a refund. Plus, he needs to see this thread, and know his business is going to suffer.
Thanks for the heads-up. His name is on my list of people NOT to deal with.

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Experienced same attitude here

After his email that said I would get my detector in 2 weeks I sent it in. At 3 weeks I emailed him and asked the status on it. Long story short it took 9 weeks to get it back and he started to say I was harassing him by asking about my detector. He even said he would not take a credit card payment from some one that harassed and gave him a hard time . All that just because I wanted to know why my detector had not been sent in two weeks like he had stated. Another customer lost here.

OP
OP
ReidMan

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I would avoid this guy, he has an attitude problem with his customers they are all wrong he is right no discussion. I finally bought another switch from an on line electrical supply house crossing the number off the original, it fit perfectly and the detector works fine. Cost me $10 plus $3.95 shipping.
The leasson cost me $39.00 on who not to use.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: Experienced same attitude here

prodrigsr said:
After his email that said I would get my detector in 2 weeks I sent it in. At 3 weeks I emailed him and asked the status on it. Long story short it took 9 weeks to get it back and he started to say I was harassing him by asking about my detector. He even said he would not take a credit card payment from some one that harassed and gave him a hard time . All that just because I wanted to know why my detector had not been sent in two weeks like he had stated. Another customer lost here.

I pretty much ran into the same problem with him except I ordered a machine that he was to work on. He told me it would be a couple of weeks and that turned into a month. I emailed him about the status of my order. He went on a huge rant, told me how great his business was, told me I was too pushy and that he didn't want me as a customer. Trying to be the bigger person I appoligized and we worked it all out. He promised the machine. That was almost a year ago. Still no machine. I no longer want the machine.
He might do some of the best work in the world but his customer service department was lacking in a big way for me.
I can understand having too many orders. What I can't understand is the attitude towards customers. A simple realistic timeframe would have been great.

ric44

Nov 23, 2006
Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900di pro sl, tesoro tejon,nautilus dmcb,excalibur 1000
Same deal here gents. I wont do anymore business with him at all. I did buy some parts from him at inflated prices. He also sold me a Garrett coil that was the wrong khz even after I explicitly asked him for the correct one. He then more or less told me it was my fault and then stalled the refund and shorted me several dollars. I called him on it and after a semi heated discussion he agreed to do the right thing. His communication was non existant . I cant recommend him.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Looks like 2010 was last post. Anyone had any dealings with him since then? I don't need to send my detector there if he is still cross wise.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not send detector to someone who hasn't posted in 5 years. What is your detector and what is the issue..?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I started to send one of my detectors to him. Sure glad I never got around to it. At this rate, he'll be out of business in a short time.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with him has been terrible. Avoid like the plague!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no need to throw verbal insults at someone who hasn't posted in 5 years.... Post deleted..

10claw what is your detector and what is the issue...?

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
There is no need to throw verbal insults at someone who hasn't posted in 5 years.... Post deleted..

10claw what is your detector and what is the issue...? My detector is a TF900. After tuning according to instructions
I shift the toggle switch to fast motion OR slow motion and go back over target and get no response. My target is
five gallons of cast iron poot-pipe ( that old black stuff ) buried 28 inches deep. Without fast/slow motion I have an ear
bursting loud tone. Then in f/s all is quiet. It tunes up easy enough. Also I have a water meter lid (cast iron) it being 12+ inches across buried at 36'' and the detector does not know it is there no matter how it is tuned.
thanks for asking, and sorry I am late.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did it see the meter lid before?

Is this the Discovery TF900, a 2 box unit.....?

How old is it...

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
(Did it see the meter lid before?

Is this the Discovery TF900, a 2 box unit.....?

How old is it...) Yes, bought from A & S co. Santa Clara Ca. Bought 10-27-2009- did not see the lid then and still does not. It still has original batteries in it as it has been in my bed room mostly. A&S seems to be out of business and now it looks like I have a useless detector. I tried it again this past Thursday and still same results.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You left original batteries in it? Have you tried new batteries, batteries could be bad and could have destroyed the contacts.

At 6 years old and out of business your most likely better off buying new detector, why did you wait so long to try to fix it?

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
You left original batteries in it? Have you tried new batteries, batteries could be bad and could have destroyed the contacts.

At 6 years old and out of business your most likely better off buying new detector, why did you wait so long to try to fix it?
mainly money for shipping expenses. Everything as far as batteries and contacts is like new. Batteries check out to have full strength. They are lR6 type which are long lasting. They just don't have much using time on them.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Over the years I have owned many different detectors beginning with Metrotech and I know better than to leave the batteries in one for any length of time. I have seen what it can do. I just recently fixed one for my nephew because of
batteries leaking. That can really make a mess. He was lucky, it only ruined the battery holder contacts plus the part that clips on to the battery pack. Had to cut the wire back a short ways too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread