hh pulse.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 804

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Does anyone know where I can buy a good lightweight waterproof 3 wire connector so I can exhange coils on my detectorpro? I would imagine I could mount the connector right below the headphones.

hey guy, I imagine a dive shop might be the place to start looking - underwater camera and lighting may use those, or maybe a trailer outfit.

I see you have the HH PI, I'm thinking of getting one for water-hunting, guy is asking $350 with the 11" coil. What do you think of yours, and how difficult is it to pinpoint with the 11" coil? Is it necessary to get a Pulse machine to seriously water hunt?

"There are several missing forts in the Everglades and I have been searching for them for years. Some have been found." This was from your post a while back. Have you looked for Fort Henry? has anyone been credited with finding it? There is an island out there I thought of checking out, it looks kind of suspicious. I was wondering what happened to Pine (long) Island that shows up on the old maps as stretching north to about even with Black Point, but today is only west and south of homestead. I was looking at some aerial fotos from 1940 (or 1937, I forget) and I didn't see anything significant in those. I'm thinking the old maps must have had it wrong, one map copying another.

Found this vermeil bracelet yesterday evening at a nearby soccer field. I go out about 7pm for an hour after the heat of the day is over.

thx, Larry

Attachments

• vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 394
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello scaupus. Fort Henry has been found in a Homestead farm field. I have the newspaper clipping somewhere. They searched the area with metal detectors but didnt find much. It was a cabbage palm fort.

I havent done much detecting lately. I like my HH PI, very lightweight, water resistant, not affected by saltwater and deeeeep. But unfortunately, I have had problems with it and it never worked properly from day one. The problem I am having now is loud constant falsing every 2-3 seconds. I am hoping changing coils will help. I hear the 11 inch is very eratic. Yes its kinda hard to pinpoint also. (esp with all the falsing :'() I bought mine brand new, with full warranty, for $400 about 3 years ago.. I figure even with the problems it beats my old Radio Shack unit hands down and its better than my old 1970's Whites detector.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The Ace250 is a nice unit. :icon_thumright: Its no good down by the water in wet sand on the beach.

Pulse units are not affected by salt but have no discrimination. You need a large scoop they can go several feet deep.

If I can solve the falsing on my HH, it would be a pretty good machine. It picks up my scoop several feet away. I need to carry my scoop on my opposite shoulder.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
scaupus said:
I was wondering what happened to Pine (long) Island that shows up on the old maps as stretching north to about even with Black Point, but today is only west and south of homestead. I was looking at some aerial fotos from 1940 (or 1937, I forget) and I didn't see anything significant in those. I'm thinking the old maps must have had it wrong, one map copying another.
I always thought Pine/Long Island is Long Pine Key in Everglades National Park. Fort Henry was found outside the park in a farmers field.

Attachments

• long key.jpg
    long key.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 1,888
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Can anyone suggest a waterproof connector that they have actually used? Someone gave me a link online but I lost it and the thread appears to be removed.

Does anyone know what kind of connector is used on Detectorpro units? :help: (The newer units have exchangable coils, mine is the older hard wired).

Anybody?

Attachments

• HHpulsecontrolspaint.JPG
    HHpulsecontrolspaint.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 708
  • HHpulsecontrolspaint.JPG
    HHpulsecontrolspaint.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 710
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There doesnt seem to be much parrticipation. Can anyone recommend a coil connector? :help:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big C.

Sorry I just found your post......

Here is the link to a product page, for the connector I used on a Excal mod, you can use it for a headset to, it is the Mini Buccaneer. Water and dustproof to IP68 when mated, IP68 rating tested at 15lb/sq in (10m depth) for 2 weeks
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/documents/PowerBuccMailer-2008-200dpi.pdf

Below is diagram of the two connectors with the internal parts.
Buccaneer_Mini_300px.jpg

Below are some pictures of mod.

4wireconnectionbeforeRTVsilicone.jpg

We sealed the cable and wires in Blue RTV.
4witeconnectionwithRTVsilicone.jpg

Maleandfemaleconnectorafterfinishin.jpg

SpliceWithRTVSiliconetube.jpg

Spliceconnected.jpg

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Here is the link to a product page, for the connector I used on a Excal mod, you can use it for a headset to, it is the Mini Buccaneer. Water and dustproof to IP68 when mated, IP68 rating tested at 15lb/sq in (10m depth) for 2 weeks
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/documents/PowerBuccMailer-2008-200dpi.pdf
That looks like what I need. Thanks. :icon_thumright:

2nd question: Do you know how to repair a coil wire so its waterproof again? A nice member donated this old coil to me. I believe it works.

Attachments

• DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire.jpg
    DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 461
  • DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire rot.jpg
    DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire rot.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 431
  • DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire.jpg
    DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 330
  • DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire rot.jpg
    DetectorPro from Virgin Is coil wire rot.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 357

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are pictures from a headset mod I did on one of my Excals... The same mod would work for you.

I would cut the bad insulation off, cover the cable with liquid tape and let it dry. I would then cut two pieces of heat shrink one about 1.5 inches longer than the other slide the short one on the cable first followed by the second one, insert something to use as a strength member at the bad point, I have used a piece of tiewrap and insulation off a heavy gage extension cord, but anything nonmetallic that is stiff would work.

You covered the bad spot with heat shrink tubing heat it and seal it with liquid tape, when it dries slide the 2nd heat shrink over the repair so that the first piece is in the center of the second longer piece, heat it then cover it with liquid tape, then spray it with plasti-dip, I would put on at least 4-5 coats. I would tiewrap the cable to the shaft so it cant pull on the connection...I would make sure the heat shrink is long enough that the heat shring coveres at least half the connection plug on the coil...

Use the Plasti-Dip to ensure it is waterproofed.…… I have done 3 mods so far and none have leaked yet and they have been in the water a lot....

I Covered The Splice With Insulation Cut Off An Old Piece of Extension Cable, Then Added 2 Layers Of Heat Shrink With Strength Members Between the 2 Layers
DSCF2458-1.jpg

Splice After The Final Coat Of Plasti-Dip......(Total Of 5 Spray On Coats)
DSCF2465-1.jpg

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm bookmarking this page, good stuff to note in case I need it later.

Re: Homestead farm field - I would like to check that ft. henry site over with a deep detector (which I don't have yet). It was a depot - something, anything, must still be there. How can we find out exactly where it is? I figured it could be in a field since the site I picked was less than a quarter mile from some fields.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
scaupus said:
I'm bookmarking this page, good stuff to note in case I need it later.

Re: Homestead farm field - I would like to check that ft. henry site over with a deep detector (which I don't have yet). It was a depot - something, anything, must still be there. How can we find out exactly where it is? I figured it could be in a field since the site I picked was less than a quarter mile from some fields.
I cut the article out of a Miami newspaper about 8 years ago, give or take a few. I dont know where I put it. Its probably in one of my treasure research boxes. It was definitely on private farmed rockland. You would think they would erect a bronze plate like the others. :dontknow: Im going to be the first one to rediscover Fort Harrel. :wink: http://books.google.com/books?id=HV...CC8Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q="fort harrell"&f=false

Attachments

• fort shackleford tribune.jpg
    fort shackleford tribune.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 360
  • fort shackleford tribune.jpg
    fort shackleford tribune.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 310
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure Hunter do you know where I can buy a few feet of 3 conductor wire? Its hard to find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure Hunter do you know where I can buy a few feet of 3 conductor wire? Its hard to find.

What gage are you looking for? I can probably find it for you...There is a store here in town that sells surplus electricial supply...

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:

What gage are you looking for? I can probably find it for you...There is a store here in town that sells surplus electricial supply...
I dont know the gauge. I need to replace the wire that goes from one headphone cup to the other (DetectorPro). The 3 conductor wire fits into a 1/8 inch dia. hole. Its non shielded but the wires need to be flexible (stranded not solid) Im having a hard time finding about 2 feet of it.

Im wondering if I could cut an old computer mouse wire? My brother said he may have an old 3 wire mouse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:

I dont know the gauge. I need to replace the wire that goes from one headphone cup to the other (DetectorPro). All three wires fit into a 1/8 inch hole. Its non shielded but the wires need to be flexible (stranded not solid) Im having a hard time finding about 2 feet of it.

Let me look and I will let you know....Does all three wires go into the same 1/8 inch hole so the cable diameter is 1/8 inch, or does each of the 3 wires fit in a 1/8 inch....I understand it needs to be stranded wires...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TH, just another thought here.
Down in Ft Laud, we got Brownie Marine Dive shop. they do the underwater scooters and equipment.

Maybe you got a local dive/scooter shop where you at, may have some equipment, your'e needing.
Just a thought. Real good work up above me there, from all, Thanks!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:

I dont know the gauge. I need to replace the wire that goes from one headphone cup to the other (DetectorPro). All three wires fit into a 1/8 inch hole. Its non shielded but the wires need to be flexible (stranded not solid) Im having a hard time finding about 2 feet of it.

Let me look and I will let you know....Does all three wires go into the same 1/8 inch hole so the cable diameter is 1/8 inch, or does each of the 3 wires fit in a 1/8 inch....I understand it needs to be stranded wires...
All 3 wires are enclosed in a rubber shield. The entire 3-wire wire fits into one 1/8 inch grommet hole so the entire 3wires can be no larger diameter than 1/8 inch.

I found a flexible 2 wire with shielded ground but I would need to solder a rubber coated wire to the grounded shield and its also fatter than 1/8 inch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:

All 3 wires are enclosed in a rubber shield. The entire 3-wire wire fits into one 1/8 inch grommet hole so the entire 3wires can be no larger diameter than 1/8 inch.

I found a flexible 2 wire with shielded ground but I would need to solder a rubber coated wire to the grounded shield and its also fatter than 1/8 inch.

BigC,

Sorry I missed your reply, I will check for the cable........

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I found a 4 wire cable off an old mouse. The wires are kinda small but it might work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread