Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer-- electronics problem

ltrapper68

Aug 27, 2011
I'm new to the metal detecting world and I have been reading lots of forum on pinpointers and medal detectors. I read that the V4 pinpointer was a descent tool but wouldn't hurt to be a little tougher. I bought one and figured I would toughen it up by putting a peace of heat shrink over the entire shaft extending into the main box. Ended up I could not get the box to close back up, so I cut the heat shrink off. The Bad: one of the wires leading to the probes coil broke loose from the board at the place of soldier. which still wouldn't have been to bad because I have all the tools to soldier it back together but I could not see well enough to find where it came from, so I had a brain fart and figured I could hook the battery up to it and probably touch one of the many soldiered pads that it might have came from, while next to a piece of metal and if it beeps, I got it. The Bad: First soldiering pad I touch it smoked one of the resistors.
Question: Can I fix it or anyone else for that matter? Is there a certain resistor that it might have burnt? I really can't afford to go buy another right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread