Redeye

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Lancaster NY
Detector(s) used
whites vision w/ i upgrade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem is occasionally when I turn the md on, the screen flashes a few times then nothing. This happend with my first md(spectrum xlt) 15 yrs ago and i never pinpointed the problem in the 1 1/2 yrs i owned it. I would reinstall the batt pack many times and this would sometimes fix it. I almost sent it back to whites but was patient and got it working within a day or two. Now I occasionally have the same problem with my v3i I recently purchased.
I believe I figured out what the problem is. The battery contacts must not be making a good connection. I noticed that if you put light pressure using your fingers on the outside bottom of the pcb housing to flex it a bit.(with battery installed) This will allow the battery inside to move slightly and allow the two sets of contacts to get a firm seating thus better connection. I used this method three times and it always works.

I am posting this because there must be others with this same problem. If so, how many sent them back to whites for repairs?
If anyone has this problem, try this. It seemed to work for me.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people drop the battery pack in with the detector verticle which will bend the connections down inside the battery compartment, to fix it you need to bend a coat hanger and carefully pull those connections up a little. When putting the battery pack in you should slide it in carefully with the box horizontal so the weight of the battery isn't slamming down on those contacts. HH

OP
OP
Redeye

Redeye

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Lancaster NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is happening again! This time i dont think it is the battery or connection. I have tried eveything. I belive this detector has had this issue for some time now but only happened occationally and now i cant get it to boot up at all. I have searched the internet on this problem and all i can find is this vid
mine only flashes a blank screen a few times. This must be a problem with a pcb component. I thing may be sending this in for repairs.

OP
OP
Redeye

Redeye

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Lancaster NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decieded one last chance. but this time, turned on and immediatly applied pressure(until box flex) to the bottom of the unit during startup. It worked! Im not sure if the batt connections made better contact or it is something more. Anyone hear of this problem?

weston777

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
las vegas
Detector(s) used
GARRETT Spectrum V3i, ATpro, Minelab X-terra 305, whites spectrum xlt, and several older detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work on whites detectors, the battery has a tab that is there to stop the battery from going in to far, if the contacts are pushed in the tab will prevent a good connection. I would remove the 8 screws and open the case then push the contacts back out a little bit, I wouldn't stick anything metal in and try to pull them up the bottom of the circuit board is exposed and you stand a chance of damage from electrostatic discharge. while you have it open verify the tabs are properly soldered to the board and you don't have a loose contact, i have seen one XLT with one loose contact that had the same symptoms you just described.

Alex111

Jul 3, 2019
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, comrades. Have some unpleasant problem on detecting metal by Spectra v3i. The essence of problem: VDI grade is shifted. VDI of foil is 0...+10, VDI of ferrite-magnetic is -95 or +95. It's abnormal. What could be cause of this failure? Who can help?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Alex111, does this happen in all programs? If so try a reset. There is what's called a factor reset (found online) this may help correct the problem. If not, a trip to white's and all will be well.

Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread