Bullseye pinpointer problem

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I remember when I was researching pinpointers that some have had problems with the switch on the Bullseyes. Well my local dealer only sold Whites so I got the Bullseye and have had a much easier and faster time recovering items with it. Unfortunately I seem to be sometimes experiencing the switch problem that others have had. Sometimes I depress the switch and nothing happens (no LED light or short beep to let you know it is on). Then I have to depress it again once or twice and it does work. Just thinking that I might be wearing out the switch in it and wanted to know what others have doen. I remember some have actually opened the pinpointer and replaced the switch with a toggle switch from Radio Shack. Feasible or not? Don't want to have to return it to Whites and get another one that will do the same thing. Rather repair it myself or save for another pinpointer down the road. What have you other Bullseye users done about this problem? If anyone has replaced the switch, would love to get details on how to do it.

Thanks,

Funkman

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Gettin' ready to send in my 2nd one tomorrow..........same problem.........switch. ??? ??? ???

But, I love it. Don't know how I hunted all these years without one.

Roger

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies you two. I am reluctant to send mine in because:

A) I will have the same problem again.
B) I will miss it when out in the field.

Oh well, maybe I will just have to break down and send it in or see if someone knows electronics and could jerry rig a toggle switch on it.

Thanks.
Funkman

S

sendin

My friend Bob uses one and he has the same problem. I think he told me he was going to get a new one, but I think I'll call him to tell him to send it back. Thankfully, White's Good Service is legendary.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I understand about the good service but what about fixing the problem in the first place. You would think that since they get so many of these back for the same problem that they would redesign it with a switch that can hold up against frequent use. I just think they are wasting more time and money either fixing these or replacing them only to have them keep coming back. Not bashing WHites at all here just trying to understand why a company with their reputation on quality products would not want to sop having these pinpointers come back to them constantly. Maybe I just think differently. Anyhoo...sorry for the little rant there but like I said, would miss using my pinpointer waiting for it to come back.
If I did choose to contact Whites and send it back, any idea on turnaround time?

Thanks again

Funkman

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Just got off the phone with Todd in Washington (White's Electronics). He says they have gotten with the vendor, and are upgrading to a heavier-duty switch. That should solve the problem with new ones in production. (No telling how many are already on the shelf with the old switch, though. So you might buy one a year from now, and still have the switch problem ??? ??? ???)

As far as current owners, Todd said I should send mine to 'Bob' in VA, and have him put a toggle switch on it (apparently they are doing this regularly), and tell him 'Todd' said to do it under warranty. No problem.

So I call for Bob in VA, and talk to someone else. He's unsure about the whole thing, and keeps thinking I should send in $7.50 for return postage.................I know I shouldn't expect anything for free, but I paid for the darned thing, and only expect a normal life time on the product. By the way, this is my second one. My first one was exchanged 'on the spot' at a local dealer. I'd almost go that route again, but I'm sure I'd have the same problem again. I have only used this new one about 2 months, and the switch is already showing signs of having a 'short'.

Finally, how long will I have to wait for mine to return, if I send it in? I mean, it's relic season, and I don't want to be waiting around 'till after Christmas for the thing to return.........I know all too well how warranty work goes. They're doing it for free, so they'll get to it when they can.........after they've taken care of the paying customers first.

WHEW!

Roger

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I sent in my second pinpointer last week with the same switch problem as the first. :P I will have to say that they do try and get them back to you as soon as possible, has been under a week to receive mine both times I have sent them in. Wonder what are the odds that I got one of those 'new' designed ones? ;D I'll let you know in a few months! ;)

Nana

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
My Bullseye did the same thing after about 2 months of use. I called White's and they told me to send it back and they would fix it. It only took them about a week and they sent me a NEW one, I marked my old one and I knew the one they sent was NEW. They shipped it ASAP and I wasn't charged any return shipping fee. I received great customer service. I wrote a letter about specific problem I had and had heard of other people having the same problem. Then I told them what I thought the problem was. I was polite, and direct and I thanked them for taking the time to read the letter and fixing the pinpointer.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDW and all,

I did the exact same replacement to my Bullseye I, the original one. I used the push button also as I did not like the toggle as it may turn itself on and run down the battery. The problem with the Bullseye II is a cheap switch. They really should used a better switch. It would not cost them more than $2 to upgrade it. The link provided above does a very good job of explanation. Don,t be afraid to try it. If you get the switch, any electronics repair guy/gal (politically correct) can solder it for you. After I modified mine it works like a charm.

Ed D.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Well I shipped it out on Wed. January 3rd and received a new one yesterday so I am a happy detectorist again. Don;t know how much you miss it unless you have had one and then detected again without it.

Hope this one is a newer switch...Let you all know after a couple of months.

Funkman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After five months of use on the third one, I am now the owner of yet another new bullseye pinpointer. 8) I don't know what the deal is with the button, but I have managed to ruin another one. :-\ Thanks to Todd at White's, he takes care of matters very well! Let's see if THIS one will last any longer. I do love my bullseye and can't do without it.

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread