May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I was extremely disappointed to find out from Teknetics (Fisher) customer service that they do not cover broken mounting "ears" on there coils whether the detector is still under warranty or not. I bought my T2 SE new 13 months ago and have used it several times a week. I have never abused it or mishandled it but this weekend I was 1 hour into my hunt when the coil became wobbly and crooked on the shaft. I thought that the coil nut had come off but one of the mounting tabs was broken. Seems like I have seen where Minelab and Garrett owners have had this happen and they replaced them free of charge. I am not very pleased over the fact that I have to lay out $180 for a new coil.

Update:

After closer inspection I believe that I figured out why the mounting tabs broke. The end of the lower rod where the bolt goes through is not a solid flat surface for the coil to mate with. Instead it has a raised outer perimeter and hollowed out center area. From what I can tell the repeated pivoting of the coil on the lower rod has worn the mounting tabs thin which has weakened them. As you can see they both broke at this worn point. This is a design flaw in my opinion.

There should be some plastic or rubber washers that fill this recessed area so its flush with the point of contact with the coil tabs. This would give more surface area and cause less wear in a concentrated area.

Attachments

• P1020076.JPG
    P1020076.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 531
  • P1020079.JPG
    P1020079.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 495

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why Fisher would not replace it Did you talk to Felix

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
What did Teknetics (Fisher) say screwynewy? If you haven't called them - a lot of vendors (i.e., Garrett, etc.) will work with you and many do so without a charge.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked to him yesterday and he said that broken coil mounting tabs are not covered by warranty??? I sent him an email this morning with these pictures in hopes that he will agree that this was not due to user abuse or neglect. I hope he will agree but I have little hope based on his attitude yesterday.

I don't know why Fisher would not replace it Did you talk to Felix

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't understand what some of these companies are thinking. When you give great customer service, you have a customer for life. With today's MD competition why send someone away mad. In this hobby it doesn't take long for word to get around bad or good. And when the word is bad three customers who were going to buy your product choose your competition.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a Facebook account look for Their page and post it on there

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it appears that persistance has paid off and Fisher is going to replace my coil under warranty but they did state that this was a one time only arrangement. I will be sure to use some washers to fill the open space where the lower rod and coil connect so this doesn't happen again. I am surprised that more people have not had this same problem. I'm just happy that I won't have to shell out $180 for a new coil.

Last edited:

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it appears that persistance has paid off and Fisher is going to replace my coil under warranty but they did state that this was a one time only arrangement. I will be sure to use some washers to fill the open space where the lower rod and coil connect so this doesn't happen again. I am surprised that more people have not had this same problem. I'm just happy that I won't have to shell out $180 for a new coil.

Good Deal. I had a new Minelab and it broke the same place as yours and it was only 2wks old.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should have had the rubber washers between the end of the shaft and the coil. Easy to understand how it broke if they weren't in place. Surprised the coil would not wobble up and down it didn't have them to start with. I think they are pressed or glued into the pockets on the shaft when you get them but don't remember. I sent my G2 in for a bad switch last year and they put an updated coil plug (female in the unit) and headphone plug on mine and were timely on the return. Glad to hear they did the right thing for you. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
It should have had the rubber washers between the end of the shaft and the coil. Easy to understand how it broke if they weren't in place. Surprised the coil would not wobble up and down it didn't have them to start with. I think they are pressed or glued into the pockets on the shaft when you get them but don't remember. I sent my G2 in for a bad switch last year and they put an updated coil plug (female in the unit) and headphone plug on mine and were timely on the return. Glad to hear they did the right thing for you. :icon_thumright:

Actually there was an instructional insert in the box that clearly stated not to use any washers with the standard coil. The small coil came with a single rubber washer but that is because the space is wider where the lower rod attaches.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every detector I've used had rubber washers between the coil ears and the rod. Tesoros, Whites and Garretts
luvsdux

glen243

Jan 30, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Teknetics Omega 8000, Whites Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screwynewy. I had the same type of problem with my Teknetics Machine, it didn't come with washers and i was told that they don't supply them, mine wore the shaft and and coil ears So i machined some out of neoprene, problem gone..

Stan Milgram

Mar 14, 2012
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
T2, AT Pro, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had the same issue. Both ears cracked. I bought a new coil because the detector was beyond warranty anyway. Now it's time to find some washers that fit.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have an explorer that the same thing happened
after trying a few different Glue repairs all of which fail sooner or later
i designed an attachment that replaces the ears without glue or metal (pc 7 has metal in it)
the design can be modified for different types and size coils and will last for years

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there was an instructional insert in the box that clearly stated not to use any washers with the standard coil. The small coil came with a single rubber washer but that is because the space is wider where the lower rod attaches.

that what my say to

Last edited:
S

stefen

You'd think that service would increase when a product has known design flaws.

The customer complaints actually bring forth flaws than can be remedied.

When customer complaints of inferior workmanship or poor manufacturering are not made good, the word of mouth only multiplies the number of units not being sold.

Not only does the customer suffer, so does the manufacturer by lacking service.

In this case, the squeaky wheel got greased...what about the next person?

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Forewarned is forearmed. Thanks!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is not just a problem with teknetics it happens to every brand of detector
You'd think that service would increase when a product has known design flaws.

The customer complaints actually bring forth flaws than can be remedied.

When customer complaints of inferior workmanship or poor manufacturering are not made good, the word of mouth only multiplies the number of units not being sold.

Not only does the customer suffer, so does the manufacturer by lacking service.

In this case, the squeaky wheel got greased...what about the next person?

slufbeer

Oct 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teknetics omega 8000

I was extremely disappointed to find out from Teknetics (Fisher) customer service that they do not cover broken mounting "ears" on there coils whether the detector is still under warranty or not. I bought my T2 SE new 13 months ago and have used it several times a week. I have never abused it or mishandled it but this weekend I was 1 hour into my hunt when the coil became wobbly and crooked on the shaft. I thought that the coil nut had come off but one of the mounting tabs was broken. Seems like I have seen where Minelab and Garrett owners have had this happen and they replaced them free of charge. I am not very pleased over the fact that I have to lay out $180 for a new coil.

Update:

After closer inspection I believe that I figured out why the mounting tabs broke. The end of the lower rod where the bolt goes through is not a solid flat surface for the coil to mate with. Instead it has a raised outer perimeter and hollowed out center area. From what I can tell the repeated pivoting of the coil on the lower rod has worn the mounting tabs thin which has weakened them. As you can see they both broke at this worn point. This is a design flaw in my opinion.

There should be some plastic or rubber washers that fill this recessed area so its flush with the point of contact with the coil tabs. This would give more surface area and cause less wear in a concentrated area.

i had the same problem with my rather new teknetics omega 8000 .Very very weak support bracket for coil. I prefer german quality .This is surely a designfailure .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions