Garret Gone Gaga

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a garret pro pointer that is less than six months old and it has flipped it's wig or I'm doing something terrible wrong. Up until about a week ago this machine has worked like a charm.Now,when I turn it on and place it in my divot to point it might go off and won't shut off. I can hold it over my head,pointing in the air and it continues to buzz. Really pi___s me off:BangHead: New battery doesn't help! Cursing doesn't help! Am I doing something wrong or do I a have a bad product???? If this has happened to you and you found a solution please help! All help is appreciated !! I'm a little green to this way of having fun,but it sure seems I have purchased a "LEMON" If your an old pro and can help me out,I'm all ears!! Thanks and good hunting!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you replaced the battery? Mine does that when battery gets low. I can usually turn off and back on to get it to stop momentarily.

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a million

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried the battery trick ! Didn't help ! Thanks anyway!!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping that garrett would have solved this problem by now, freakin ridiculous

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all let me thank you for your service to our country! Then thank you for you comment! I take it that you may have experienced the same problem with your Garret pointer!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have replaced a battery and it still does this, it's time to contact Garrett. It has a two year warranty, so you should be in good shape. Be sure and not use duracells, they are a little shorter than energizers and sometimes don't seat tightly. Also check under the cap, there should be a small black foam piece that puts positive pressure on the battery when the cap is screwed tight.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine has done this also. Usually if I turn if off and back on it works fine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
make sure you don't have a metal plate in your head- it would account for it

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, time to give Garrett a call, mine did the same thing, got a RMA number, sent it in, had a new one in about 10 days. Garretts and Whites have the best customer service in the business, both have treated me well.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my second one. Mine will start falsing and I wack it on something hard like a rock and it will work for a little while longer. Sounds silly but its the only thing that makes it quit. I'm getting the whites asap.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm on my second one. Mine will start falsing and I wack it on something hard like a rock and it will work for a little while longer. Sounds silly but its the only thing that makes it quit. I'm getting the whites asap.

Yeah.Garrett knows the problem and the fix..Personally in all the reviews I've read,false signals are the most
common problem with the Garrett Pro-Pointer.It is a couple of small uninsulated coil wires that will touch other parts
inside the unit.Garrett sprayed these wires with a lacquer but with time the lacquer wears off where the wires rub.You can see the fix yourself on You Tube.Of course if it is under warranty,you'd want Garrett to fix it..I may add that the other posters are right..Garrett has a customer service that is second to none.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
After you put the battery in … Put in the screw on cap on battery bottom a nickel or wad of paper it will put pressure on the battery connections… For i read that all batteries are not the same size some are smaller not much but enough to lose connection..

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone who say's "turn it off", "shake it", "smack it against a rock"... You know those are only temporary fixes, and will just make it worse in the long run. If your pointers are still under warranty, send them in before its to late... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone who say's "turn it off", "shake it", "smack it against a rock"... You know those are only temporary fixes, and will just make it worse in the long run. If your pointers are still under warranty, send them in before its to late... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:
This being the second one I'll just go with another company. No reason to believe third time would be any different.

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is two fold...

A: dry joints and or fractures in the coil wires..

B: Stuffed connection for the Battery....

Warranty - Or if your near me a post pack and fixed in a jiffy....

I usually also waterproof the speaker and the led and that brings it up to the standard of the x-pointer... And the manner is not the same as all others do... After years in the medical field and having to ensure patient safety; there are tricks to doing many things without attacking or changing the outside appearance...

I re coat the coil wires in a special lacquer and also fix the Battery contacts... Broken switches are a few $ extra due to parts and a bit of extra work..

Remember, Warranty and then after that you need to replace or know a good service person...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why I switched to the Deteknix X-pointer. No falsing and just as sensitive as the Garrett. Comes with a lanyard and tip covers, plus only $89 I think the major players in this field need to re-work their pricing and what they offer.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a year mine just started doing that.I sent it in yesterday.I hope they treat me right.Garrett has loyal customers.I feel like a lot of people say garrett should deal with these recuring issues.I also ordered an x-pointer.

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be a long shot but make sure your not wearing any rings on the hand your using. Tried using mine in my left hand when first got it and quickly realized that my wedding band would set it off if I held it too far down shaft. HH.......David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread