Minelab Excalbur 1000 cracked coil feed cable

fmonea

Oct 5, 2013
I have what appears to be a common problem on the Excalibur 1000, cracked outer jacket on the cable to the detector coil. The cable appears to be unshielded 4 conductor (16 or 14 awg) and since my coil is working great I would like to either just replace the cable or splice in a new cable.

If I splice in a new cable will there be an impedance issue to good soldered connections, not worried about water intrusion as there is heat shrink with good adhesive lining.

Is anyone aware of the type of cable that is used so I could order for the repair?

Really appreciate any help on this issue.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you check with minelab to see if they will replace the cable? They technicians are extremely customer friendly and may tell you what kind of cable if you ask then if they dont do those types of repairs.

OP
OP
F

fmonea

Oct 5, 2013
Thanks for the response, I will call them. I viewed an excellent video online regarding changing the coil wire on an Excalibur, not too difficult but it would be much simpler to splice in a new section of cable as long as it did not cause any signal loss or interference issues. I guess the best solution is to change the cable entirely just need to get my hands on an OEM type cable.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cable can be ordered from McMaster Carr
Black

9204K12
20/4

0.25"
replacement on the left, stock on the right in pic
OBN0004 (2).jpg

It works perfect other then the color coding will be different when spliced.
Minelabs will install you another coil
but not repair the old, you can go one step beyond splicing by making a small
mold out of PVC pipe and Fiberglass resin.
OBN0045.jpg

OBN0047.jpg

OBN0048.jpg
or round
OBN0050.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmonea

Oct 5, 2013
Thank you very much for the information on the wire, found it on their web site. The PVC form on the top of the coil looks first class. If I did splice the cable in do you feel that there would be any detriment from signal loss or interference?

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes any time you splice wire, no matter how perfect your connection there is an increase in resistance, which causes db loss of signal.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Only if you have a leak, specially saltwater. It will let you know, by acting stupid. Been there done it, also I have got the wires switched around , had the wrong wiring diagram, signal was opposite of what it should have been, in PP/AM, when I went over a target the signal would disappear then once past you could hear the threshold again.

I would use some rescue tape on your splices, seems to be the best I know of, I do like the double wall shrink but it does get brittle after some time......Good Luck..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes any time you splice wire, no matter how perfect your connection there is an increase in resistance, which causes db loss of signal.
It is so little on the Excalibur it is unnoticed, but do it to a PI, then you will have some big headaches, all PI's have shielded cables, they are never right after a splice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread