Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The policy hasn't changed, but Tesoro is enforcing it more now. They still do a lot of stuff free, but there are SO many people buying used Tesoro machines (even non-working ones from 20-years ago) and sending them in for "free" repairs so they can then re-sell them, that they now ask you to cover the parts and shipping with a $50 deposit if you are not the original owner. If you are the original owner, your machine goes to the front of the line for Free inspection, repair, and shipping.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its really a lifetime limited warranty, that's too bad. I can understand charging for repairs on what appears to be negligence or accidental damage, but if they are going to tout their lifetime warranty, it really should apply to their products regardless of how many owners it has had. I'm sure it is easy to differentiate between hardware failure and user damage.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a limitless lifetime warranty for the ORIGINAL owner, no if's, and's or but's.

It costs money to have a tech tear your machine down, test it, tune it, put it back together and ship it back to you. Too many people abused the system in the past, and I guess they got tired of folks that bought older broken machines at garage sales and sent them in for a free repair so they could just turn around and sell them for a few hundred bucks.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a limitless lifetime warranty for the ORIGINAL owner, no if's, and's or but's.

It costs money to have a tech tear your machine down, test it, tune it, put it back together and ship it back to you. Too many people abused the system in the past, and I guess they got tired of folks that bought older broken machines at garage sales and sent them in for a free repair so they could just turn around and sell them for a few hundred bucks.

I understand that side of it. I just always assumed Tesoro built these rock-solid metal detectors backed by an unmatched warranty. I just feel bad for the little boy that buys his first detector used, and can't afford to get it fixed when/if it breaks down, not aware that the warranty is void. Many people have no other choice then to buy used, and I'm glad to see that some companies have changed their policies to be fully transferable throughout the warranty period. Granted "lifetime" is a much larger window.

Last edited:

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that side of it. I just always assumed Tesoro built these rock-solid metal detectors backed by an unmatched warranty. I just feel bad for the little boy that buys his first detector used, and can't afford to get it fixed when/if it breaks down, not aware that the warranty is void. Many people have no other choice then to buy used, and I'm glad to see that some companies have changed their policies to be fully transferable throughout the warranty period. Granted "lifetime" is a much larger window.

It is! an unmatched warranty the best in the industry! We all know that little boy in your example would be lucky to buy a used Tesoro because they do have the best service ! It seems your knocking the company because they went above and beyond in the past and now only honor the best warranty available. They never advertised or promoted anything but a lifetime warranty for the original owner pretty amazing in itself alone.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There not much home work in a tesoro....
that's why their cheap....

liftloop

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There not much home work in a tesoro....
that's why their cheap....

liftloop

Hi everyone! Just bought the Sand Shark on yard sale for cheap! But the unit has no coil. No coils for the Sand Shark on E-bay. No dealers has these coils. Tesoro guy told me-`YES! we have it! but you have to send the control box to us-because we have no connectors anymore. Any advise?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! Just bought the Sand Shark on yard sale for cheap! But the unit has no coil. No coils for the Sand Shark on E-bay. No dealers has these coils. Tesoro guy told me-`YES! we have it! but you have to send the control box to us-because we have no connectors anymore. Any advise?

Yep - send it in. The coil has to be hardwired. The machine you bought is the old model. Sometimes "cheap" is no bargain.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Not so impressed with Tesoro after today. Sent my old Cutlass in after it quit working. Got a call today that the cannot verify I am the original owner as my registration card is not on file. This machine was my first detector purchased in the mid-80's (most likely pre-computer). Guess what I don't have the receipt any longer. Asked the Customer Service person to check my other machines serial numbers (2) Compadre's, Cibola, Toltec 100 none of them showed up as registered. All registration cards were filled out and sent in at time of purchase, none on file. She told me she has worked there only two months and has had more than 75 people have issues with registration cards. Had to give her credit card # and will be billed $50.00 to have tech check detector and return shipment, all repairs will be additional and at full cost. My advice is to contact Tesoro and make sure your registration is on file, or have your credit card handy if your detector needs repair. The warranty is for the first, original owner and you better be able to prove it! I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I spoke to Michelle @ Tesoro earlier today to check on one of my machines they are servicing. During our conversation, I asked her about some of the missing warranty registration issues I've read about over the past few days. She informed me that "most" warranty information that was entered into their computer system prior to 1995 has been lost recently due to a computer crash (ironic as I'm sitting here watching more of the IRS scandal on C-Span). She also informed me that they are in the process of sorting thru boxes of warranty cards (2000 per box) in order to re-enter the information. Hope this info helps someone...

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Thanks for the information. I wish she had told me that, if it can happen to the government it can happen to anyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread