gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Age of detectors and performance degradation - performance of old vs. new

How does age of the machine effect detector performance?

I know from personal experience with electronics (audio, radio receivers, ham radio) that age degrades electronic components and performance.

At what age of detectors have you noticed performance degradation? My own experience with other equipment indicates degradation may begin as early as 15 years, assuming there was no earlier failure of components. Capacitors are usually first to go.

For example, if someone was to purchase a Whites DFX, which began its run in circa 2002, that makes that unit about 12 years old. How many trouble free (meaning still performing at or near factory specifications) years might one expect from that age unit? How does a purchaser of 10 to 15 year old equipment confirm whether or not a piece of equipment is actually performing as it was intended to? Simple air tests are meaningless for such evaluation except learning that it still "detects" at some level.

This uncertainty concerning used equipment causes me to lean toward new.

Has technology of new equipment improved over the past 10-12 years to the extent that a $500 new model today performs as well as a $1,000 model performed 12 years ago?

Last edited:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....... I have not paid retail for a metal detector in 15 to 20 years. I regularly use 15 to 30 year old detectors for my normal detecting. From what i can tell...in my club hunts I do as good as those using the newest detectors. So if you are good with your older detector...I would stay with it....becoming good has more to do with the operator and Not the detector.....good luck

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Joe. I've been detecting with older, used detectors nearly exclusively with good results. Buying used has let me try and use more machines than buying new would have.
luvsdux

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does age of the machine effect detector performance?

I know from personal experience with electronics (audio, radio receivers, ham radio) that age degrades electronic components and performance.

At what age of detectors have you noticed performance degradation? My own experience with other equipment indicates degradation may begin as early as 15 years, assuming there was no earlier failure of components. Capacitors are usually first to go.

For example, if someone was to purchase a Whites DFX, which began its run in circa 2002, that makes that unit about 12 years old. How many trouble free (meaning still performing at or near factory specifications) years might one expect from that age unit? How does a purchaser of 10 to 15 year old equipment confirm whether or not a piece of equipment is actually performing as it was intended to? Simple air tests are meaningless for such evaluation except learning that it still "detects" at some level.

This uncertainty concerning used equipment causes me to lean toward new.

Has technology of new equipment improved over the past 10-12 years to the extent that a $500 new model today performs as well as a $1,000 model performed 12 years ago?

Usually the only component that really degrades are the electrolytic capacitors. They actually degrade more quickly if the machine is never turned on. They tend to dry out and lose their capacitance, but I have seen them last 25-30 years before they need to be replaced. Everything else (Diodes, Transistors, IC's and resistors) tend to last much longer and stay within spec. I am an electronics repair guy and on older equipment, the electrolytic caps are always the first thing checked if the equipment is still working but not perfectly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread