Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard that if you put something under the battery cap to make the batter push down for better connection like a quarter or thick piece of foam or card board that might work...

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's toast. Tried all the fixes on youtube and still doesn't work. Time for a new pin pointer. Thinking the new Deteknix.

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my first pinpointer two weeks ago, a vulcan 360 its $120 but I like it I can detect a penny from 2 inches away. Not sure if thats really good or not. You might consider it.

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's toast. Tried all the fixes on youtube and still doesn't work. Time for a new pin pointer. Thinking the new Deteknix.

I fix the Garrett's and usually a simple matter; if you understand what is going on... Most people try many things but only fix the symptom and not the root cause.

Battery contacts cause lots of problems and usually due to people using different sized batteries... No 100% standard for size and up to 2mm or more in length... This can cause problems when you then use a shorter battery... After a while the contact just loose it regardless of how much packing you use..

Garrett and Mine lab do not always solder the Battery contacts to the board.. The Deteknix X-pointer solves many of these problems..:hello2:

ML Pro find is glued together and thus if any thing breaks = send it back for an exchange... After warranty = bin it...

Now if you were in Australia, a simple post and I could have either the Garrett or the ML fixed and back to you in under a week..

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I think I am just gonna get an x-pointer.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck iam having falsing and my propointer won't turn on now.It was good for a year i think i will order a x-pointer.Garrett should have fixed all these problems by now.I can't even get anybody on the phone so much for gpp..

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck iam having falsing and my propointer won't turn on now.It was good for a year i think i will order a x-pointer.Garrett should have fixed all these problems by now.I can't even get anybody on the phone so much for gpp..

Xpointer for coins and relic hunting seems to work fine but has an issue seeing small gold so you might do a bit of research before you make that jump if jewelry is in your search list.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks i guess i have to give some thought to that.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iam going to take a chance i went online and ordered an x-pointer.Hope i get it by the weekend.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my X-pointer so far. Heard of one person having a battery post break, but Deteknix is sending him a new one with the fix. I have had no problems. It is as sensitive as the Garrett without the falsing. The test will be how long it lasts. Being a new product, we will have to see. So far I like it. With the lanyard and tip covers and only $89 it was a good deal for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as small gold look at this video.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I press heavily on the tip of my Garret Pro-Pointer it will false, otherwise it's pretty steady.

I did have it behave strangely once... but I cycled the power and it was fine.

As for its response to small nuggets, I use my Pinpointer primarily for coinshooting and relic hunting. I don't want it to respond to tiny iron fragments and such.

And I certainly don't want it to have any more depth than it already has. I have a detector for that.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret is a proud and great company to work with. If you had purchased new you would just had to make a phone call. You can keep the x pointer, too sensitive for my hunts. Im looking for rings and coins, not small foil pieces in the sides of the hole.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree that the pinpointer is not good on gold on the edge. If there is some surface area then it will ring. It is something that Deteknix needs to tweak. I have had it detect gold rings no problem, might want to think again for prospecting.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I challenge the industry to make something better at this price point. I have a feeling it will be pretty silent.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointers have usually been used for larger gold, not nuggets. If you are going for nuggets then you use your coil with a plastic scoop. You hold it over the coil and see if it rings, if not then another scoop until it rings. Sift and wave over the coil. Serious nugget hunters never use a pinpointer to find small nuggets. Pinpointers have always been for coin relic, and jewelry hunters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread