DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any 'value' in antique detectors?

Second thread here....

Looking to get started in the hobby, and I ran across an ad for an old Coinmaster that looks pretty rough. Seller doesn't know year of manufacture. Listed as 'coinmaster 1/dB mineral & metal detector.' I doubt 1/db is a model number. More likely a performance spec or a setting on the dial...

I'm not necessarily looking at this relic as a unit to get me started in the hobby, but it might be fun to play with alongside a more modern unit. If the price is right.

I've worked in electronics for years, and kinda like the idea of restoring old stuff, but don't want to buy something un-restorable. Also don't want something that is completely useless once restored.

Seller also told me that it just needs a battery. Yeah, right. So I can't even turn in on and test it.

Some companies only support their current line, some go back a couple generations, etc. Does anybody know how far back Whites supports? I don't necessarily want to send it to them for overhaul, but it would be nice to know I could get parts.

Anybody here into old gear?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites works on all it's units. The closest google came is a 2DB from the early 70s.. spend $200 and get a modern entry level machine.. unless this old coinmaster could be had for $5-10 just for fun..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1DB is the model number. It's a true antique and not very suitable as a working detector.

OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guys. He wants $50 for it, if anyone is interested. I think I'll pass.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The 1db an "antique"? C'mon, they're not THAT old :) (late 1970s?) And also not old enough to have any vintage value. There was a ton of detectors sold from the mid 1960s and through the 1970s. So to have something collectors want, you'd have to have 1950s or very early 1960s coin-hunters (thus excluding 2-box units). IMHO. But even then, hardly any collectors of vintage detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread