Fisher F2 signals with no coil / false signals

DaybyDay

Nov 26, 2013
Milton, Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this. I picked up a used fisher f2 about a year ago. It worked well for a while now it seems to get alot of false signals everywhere I go. I was seeing if it was my coil. I disconnected it to check and it still would go off when it wasn't connected. If I take my hand and tap near the connection where the coil connects in it will signal as fast as I can tap it. Should it signal with no coil? Not being familiar with it I am wondering is this normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detectors are useless without a searchcoil, therefore operation without a searchcoil is undefined. Many metal detectors are very noisy without a searchcoil, and an individual metal detector may or may not be noisy without a searchcoil depending on EMI conditions, temperature, etc.

The right question is why are you getting "false signals everywhere" with the searchcoil attached. That's a long list of possibilities: electrical interference, loose searchcoil connector, low batteries, drifted circuit calibration, defect developed in circuit, searchcoil or searchcoil cable developed a defect, failure to reduce the sensitivity level when necessary, .....some folks here can probably think of other possibilities.

The quickest way to determine whether the searchcoil is at fault is to install a known good searchcoil. If you've got one.

If you are unable to resolve the problem through the advice of folks here on the forum, the machine will probably have to go back to the factory for repair.

WolfUFFU

Greenie
Jan 21, 2015
hanover park
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seeing as you live in Florida, did you get the coil wet? Is it a waterproof coil? If not, it probably shot and needs repair. There can be trouble with varying soil conditions as well. Hope it all turns out ok. Just bought an F2 myself. Waiting on the delivery.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
believe it or not the f2 will turn on with one battery installed incorrectly(if I remember right)check that out...also if the batteries dont have same power avail it can freak out...even refuse to turn off while chattering.new batts...best quality 1st..then call fisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions