mxt with brand new dd coil depth issue only picks up quarter/ring 7" air test

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a mxt with little use, it is about 5 years old, had a 950 eclipse coil that seemed to have depth issues so I bought a brand new 6x10 white dd eclipse coil yesterday and put new batteries in it, it only picks up a ring or quarter at 6-7"s (measured with a ruler) on a air test after that it makes no noise and gives no screen reading thats at 9 gain, 3 on dual control on prospecting or coin jewelry mode and it@ doesnt seem to get any better at +3 gain, in addition the speaker does sound crackly with only thresh hold noise not like it blown though because it sounds normal when you go over the coil with a ring or coin, this detector should clearly pick up a coin or ring at 12-18"s on a air test right?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have this machine, make sure you ground balance it and lock the tracking before you air test.. To me it sounds like another quality coil from whites.. took me about 6 4x6 shooters till I got a good one. .no idea how long it will last.. If you send it in to be looked at DO NOT send it to the factory.. My DFX has been out there 2 times and will be going to the Virginia Service center for the third and hopefully last time to be fixed..
If you can find someone within driving distance that has a known good machine, I would highly recommend comparing the 2 machines with his/her coil before you send it anywhere so you know where the problems lies..
Good luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxt with brand new dd coil depth issue only picks up quarter/ring 7" air test

I have this coil but my MXT Pro is at service center in Florida. I can do an air test on MX-5 now and MXT when it gets back. The air test seem about right to me.

OP
OP
S

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I was told by the whites technical hotline the air test should only be 6-8", but now the machine seems to have a ton of false reading and the speaker tones/threshold noise cuts out, for example if put the coil in the air or leave it fixed on ground it will give off false reading and say theres something there when theres not

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a thought but have you checked the voltage of each and everyone of the new batteries! I have put new batteries in some of my' metal detectors only to have them act goofy and found out some of the new batteries were way low on voltage. Just because they are brand new, doesn't mean they always have a full charge. Also, since the MXT holds 8 "AA" batteries, if one or two are slightly weak, the bettery level will likely still show as 12 volts. Normally, the 1.5 volt "AA" batteries should read 1.6 volts when brand new and well within Date but I have found some that read 1.4 volts and even a couple that read only 1.3 volts. Not sure that that is the problem with your' MXT but just thought I would mention it. There is a myriad of problems that can cause depth problems and sometimes the problem can be a bad wire, bad connection, corroded connection, loose connection, weak electronic component and/or corrosion on the soldering leads on the electronic boards which is cross shorting two circuits. In all honesty, it sounds as if it is time to send your' MXT in for a full inspection and repairs!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have this coil but my MXT Pro is at service center in Florida. I can do an air test on MX-5 now and MXT when it gets back. The air test seem about right to me.

Fletch,

That is probably about right on the Air Test! An Air Test of any metal detector is not a good comparison to a signal received from a coin that has been in the ground for 50 to 200 years. As you and I both know, there will even be differences on a coin that has been recently buried in a test garden! There is no way that the O.P. can be totally certain that his' MXT is or is not truly picking up a signal from a deep target such as a coin unless another metal detector has first detected it, has given the depth and then he swings the MXT coil over it to see if it pings on the target.

Frank

OP
OP
S

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for the help guys, yea its strange because I bought the coil and took it straight to the river and it seemed to work well and accurate for a hour then started giving false readings and the speaker seems to cut out in the middle of a tone/threshhold sound also seems to cut out, I also read that the headphone port cant be causing a issue, does radioshack make a adapter to use bose earbuds on a detector? So i can rule out the speaker being a issue

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok thanks for the help guys, yea its strange because I bought the coil and took it straight to the river and it seemed to work well and accurate for a hour then started giving false readings and the speaker seems to cut out in the middle of a tone/threshhold sound also seems to cut out, I also read that the headphone port cant be causing a issue, does radioshack make a adapter to use bose earbuds on a detector? So i can rule out the speaker being a issue

Yes, Radioshack carries and sells many types and sizes of adapters for headphone and earbuds! However, since you are experiencing two separate problems (false readings and the speaker cutting out) that occurred after one hour of metal detecting with a new coil, this leads me to believe that you have a short in a wire, a bad wire, bad or corroded connection or issues with some of the batteries.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread