V3i Jumpy VDI, false signals

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been fighting with my V3i since last fall. I've had the machine for three years with good results and smooth operation. I did an MR and reloaded some programs, switched coils and it's still acting erratically.

The problem is most noticeable on smaller coins - memorial penny VDI = 39, 44, 66, 72. Same basic result with dimes (clad and silver). The tones are also all over the place. Air testing or surface testing the machine seems to ID correctly/as expected. Last week the machine started falsing often. I am certain I am getting a good GB. Is it possible there could be something wrong with the GB circuit/program? I hate to send it in for nothing, but lately it has not been fun working with the V3i.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If you did a proper MR and did not calibrate, and still had these results without a single change to the factory programs, using more than one coil...I think you have no choice but to send it in. Let it GB in auto. Even a bad GB should ID 3-4" coins in the ground correctly.

You might look closely at the connector at the box where the cable connects to. Maybe one of the pin sockets is mangled. It would be odd if both coils went south, but you could check with a third coil.

If the factory, unchanged Relic program still give this response, your machine is sick. Trying to figure a circuit board is frutile unless you just find it fun to pre diagnosis.

Check that bulk head connector though.

OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks