Not open for further replies.

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used and owned Garrett equipment for a long time, 20 years or so. Tools break and so do Garretts. Many years ago they sent me a brand-new 2500 when my 1500 couldn't be repaired. Free. Nice.

I own an older Pro-Pointer (and an AT-Pro, both from Bart's) and I have loved it for years. A couple years ago I dropped it in a stream. My fault, no question. It never worked right again, even after an unsuccessful return to Garrett.

I've been away from detecting since then but I'm getting back to it now. So I returned my Pro-Pointer again. They said they could repair it but it would cost me $40, including shipping. I thought about not bothering, just getting one of their new models, the Garrett Carrot. But I decided to have it repaired and use it as a back-up when I decide to buy a new one.

So, why am I writing? Just got a Garrett package an hour ago. It was a brand-new black (old style, like the one I sent them) Pro-Pointer. New. Did I mention new?

So, as I did at least once in the far distant past, I'm sharing my Garrett experience here. Their customer service is unbeatable. Their tools work as I expect them to work (perfectly, generally) and they fix it when it breaks. They seldom break.

All the usual disclaimers, of course. Thanks, Garrett. I'm sticking with you.

Chuck

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear u had such a wonderful experience w//them.I've had nothing but problems w/their products & customer service over the the last 3 yrs.I had 3 diff.parts on my 350 fail/break before it was a yr.old!I had to return my propointer no less than 4 times for repair in the 1st.yr.& 1/2 & twice it wasn't repaired properly,the other 2 times it had to be replaced.Twice a package was lost.Eventho I have had no problems in a while(6 mth.s),I would never buy another 1 of their products.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear u had such a wonderful experience w//them.I've had nothing but problems w/their products & customer service over the the last 3 yrs.I had 3 diff.parts on my 350 fail/break before it was a yr.old!I had to return my propointer no less than 4 times for repair in the 1st.yr.& 1/2 & twice it wasn't repaired properly,the other 2 times it had to be replaced.Twice a package was lost.Eventho I have had no problems in a while(6 mth.s),I would never buy another 1 of their products.

yikes! Ive had nothing but good things from Garrett. After 3 rs my pinpointer acted up, replaced it for free. Had one get dropped in water and admitted it was my fault, replaced it for free. Broke my arm cuff on my ATP from stepping on it, they sent me 2 for free. Had my pinpointer button mess up, they sent me a bag of them for free. Just fried my ATP because of my own abuse. 100 dollars to replace the whole thing and they gave me a 2 yr warranty on replaced part.

Did they lose your package or usps? Ive had nothing but positive things from them. Not to mention they always send me patches and stickers. Who and how did you talk to these people lol they are super easy going southerns

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i just spent 30 min.writing a reply detailing all the problems i had w/garrett & then this site wouldn't let me post it......sorry i'm not going to rewrite it.the bottom line.....i'm not a garrett fan!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just spent 30 min.writing a reply detailing all the problems i had w/garrett & then this site wouldn't let me post it......sorry i'm not going to rewrite it.the bottom line.....i'm not a garrett fan!

The problem with Garrett customer service is you need it too often.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the site that wouldn't let you... You took so long writing your reply it timed out.....on long replies write it in word then post it...

OP
OP
C

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After sharing my experience here, I don't feel compelled to defend Garrett or to question others' experiences.

You know what happened to me and what I think. Garrett has its own rough spots, I suppose, but their products work for me, when they don't they fix them and they are polite and easy to deal with. They have earned my repeat business.

Chuck

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They were nice,wonderful people to talk to on the phone & sent me parts for free(the arm cuff broke 3 times & they finally redesigned it),but something was was't right about their quality control for me to have that many issues w/just 2 products.It's like anything,it can be really nice or really crappy.......there doesn't seem to be a middle anymore.I did write their c/s head a 5 pg.letter detailing all the problems I had.Next time I get something new,I will try a different brand.

One Pin

Greenie
Feb 21, 2014
Northern Neck of Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be calling them on Monday. I had my AT Pro wrapped in a beach towel in the bucket of my tractor. I was going to bush-hog my cousin's field. I have a 3/4 mile gravel drive way with a few neighbors who also use it. One nice lady, who drives like she is in a Abram's Tank, forced me to back off the road. I waved like all was good and then noticed my field bag on the road. Then I saw the ATP laying about twenty yards down the road. The arm rest was broken but held together with the Velcro and the housing was cracked open and right scratched up. The detector works fine. Ran her in all modes, had a high 99 and knew it was a can. Found a few western 10GA shells and a 1970 quarter that pinged off at 79 to 82 four inches down. I run mostly in Pro Zero. But in the field I ran all my finds in all modes to check it out. Works great. The next night I found a 1870 two cent piece at my home.
I just need them to replace the housing and arm rest. My fault, and I have no problems paying for the repairs.
Thanks for the thread Chuck!

One Pin

Greenie
Feb 21, 2014
Northern Neck of Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be calling them on Monday. I had my AT Pro wrapped in a beach towel in the bucket of my tractor. I was going to bush-hog my cousin's field. I have a 3/4 mile gravel drive way with a few neighbors who also use it. One nice lady, who drives like she is in a Abram's Tank, forced me to back off the road. I waved like all was good and then noticed my field bag on the road. Then I saw the ATP laying about twenty yards down the road. The arm rest was broken but held together with the Velcro and the housing was cracked open and right scratched up. The detector works fine. Ran her in all modes, had a high 99 and knew it was a can. Found a few western 10GA shells and a 1970 quarter that pinged off at 79 to 82 four inches down. I run mostly in Pro Zero. But in the field I ran all my finds in all modes to check it out. Works great. The next night I found a 1870 two cent piece at my home.
I just need them to replace the housing and arm rest. My fault, and I have no problems paying for the repairs. I would send pics but I am a Barney Rubble in a George Jestson world.
Thanks for the thread Chuck!

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
glad to hear u've had such a wonderful experience w/them.i just returned my pointer for the 5th time(yesterday)in 3 yrs.it's cost me approx $40 to do that.they've sent me back so called repaired or new 1's,all w/the same result.this last replacement lasted all of 6 wks.,the least about amount of time of all the rest.my friend has sent his back twice in less than a yr.!3 parts on my 350-including the coil-broke within the 1st yr..the are nice folks to talk to on the phone,but there are problems w/quality control & organization.they lost 2 of my packages & couldn't find the package,it turned out that they generated shipping labels,but never got to the shipper.it doesn't seem they keep a record on comp.,everytime i called they always asked me who i had talked to the last time.if i didn't remember that,then they couldn't find the item.i would not buy another product from them!see my past posts.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
I haven't realty used my Garret's in years but I had a few issues with my ace with arm cuffs breaking and once my whole my whole machine broke was all going crazy. Each and every time I contacted Garret they were extremely pleasant to me and every time they sent me a replacement for free. They even completely replaced my ace. Sent me a whole brand new machine with coil and all, even told me to keep my old coil. I have not messed with Garret in awhile but I really need to as this service left a lasting impression on me. Maybe I will pick up one of their new machines one day.

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently was given an older Garret Ace detector from a family member but it looks like there is an issue with the housing. I have never dealt with Garrett before so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how I can get this machine repaired so that I can get it back out into the field.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repair center at Kellyco doesn't repair Garretts, will need to contact Garrett.

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviving an aging thread...
My AT-G died last week, 4 months old. Shipped to Texas, repaired and in my hands 8 days later. This is my only experience with their service. They made it as painless as possible. Just wish I knew what they replaced. The slip indicates a part number. I can't locate a parts sheet for the AT line.

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having trouble getting Garrett to answer emails. I recently sent them my 30 day old At Pro detector. Below I have posted two youtube links showing my problems. Adam Lewis with Garrett answered my phone call only after no one ever answered emails I sent to their email address. I sent Adam the two links and he tried to say that I had no problems that I was not using it correctly. After a lengthy discussion he finally agreed and issued an RMA so they could check out what I was showing on the videos (Pinpoint not working and going crazy at start up). They got it on 12/1 and had it on its way back the next day. I have sent Adam several emails asking him what they found but he is not answering. I just want to make sure they are returning with no problem found. If this is the case I have just spent $600 for a paper weight!
https://youtu.be/VG6E2M3Z2hQ
https://youtu.be/I4aYC6D7h6g

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't email, call them. You have any idea how many emails they get regarding repairs and functions of detectors, their repair center is like the other manufacturer's repair center, understaffed and over worked.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't email, call them. You have any idea how many emails they get regarding repairs and functions of detectors, their repair center is like the other manufacturer's repair center, understaffed and over worked.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

I agree about calling. That is why I called tech support and got Adam at first and he gave me his email address so I could send him the two videos I created showing him my problems. He answered his email before I sent in my unit but now he won't respond.

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally started another thread about Kellycodetectors being a joke. I got my detector back and was going to post what was done but for some reason that thread was closed. Since I also posted about Garrett here I will post the results. I had the double beep issue and the pinpointing issue. My detector is only a month old and I sent it back to Garrett. The replaced the main electronics board and said they found a bulkhead connector was bent. They repaired this and sent it back in one day. I got it today and set up the same test that I had shown in the youtube links. Everything seems to be working fine now. I told Garrett that they found something was good news, bad news. Bad news is this unit was indeed defective but the good news was that I actually did have a problem and was not imagining it.
I live in southern ohio and I think I will give this unit to my wife to use and also take it along when she stays home. If I ask a property owner to search his land I will offer him this detector to use along with me. I think in the spring I might purchase a Fisher 75 SE/LTD or a XP DEUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread