Tuner knob lube and cleaner

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with the overspray. Some can melt synthetics, plastics. Also some contain oils which could foul up the RF circuitry on the board.

I use to use one of the types of LPS (1 or 2 dont remember) in a dropper so it wouldn't go everywhere when you sprayed it.

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Thanks Steve. I will search for the liquid with dropper. I doubt I'll even open the control box but drop a few drops on the shaft from outside just to see if it will smooth up some.

Thanks!
Geo

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
I had ordered some of the new to me WD40 electronic cleaner. Will see if I can get to loosen up the shaft. I won't be going inside the machine. I'm retired military but not in the electronics/communications branch.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're pulling my leg lol. WD40, everybody has used it. Its silicone based "water displacement" lubricant. Walmart, anyone has it in the US.

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
Talking about the New Electrical Speciality Cleaner from WD40... Not the old standy by in the blue and yellow can. :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you do don't use the regular WD40. Every speck of dust and dirt will stick to it and gum that shaft up to the max.

Look at this fancy smancy pot cleaner
7d3911aab20f271ac83028276996962a.jpg

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The cleaner/lubricant that is used on guitars and amplifiers will do the trick. WD40 will clean with no real lubricant and can become worse after awhile.

A post by soundguruman:

The best cleaner is Caig Deoxit G-100 which is also known as pro gold 100 it is expensive but well worth the price.
The second choice is Caig deoxit D100, less expensive but very reliable.
For sliding faders, use Caig Fader lube F series.
Remember that using the wrong type of cleaner can destroy your expensive equipment, you have been warned....And now for a re-post of my (now famous) blog on cleaning controls and jacks:
Does your volume control crackle when you turn it? Do the left and right channels cut out when you turn the controls?
You need to clean the controls. OK-- better disconnect the power before doing so.

Contact cleaner and switch cleaner is NOT suitable for cleaning volume controls! Get your application straight!
Incorrect type of cleaner will strip the lubrication out of a volume control and render your control FUBAR. Contact cleaner MELTS plastic! Using the wrong type of cleaner can DESTROY your controls.
Use ONLY lubricated control cleaner, which is specifically designed to clean rotating mechanical parts. THIS IS NOT CONTACT CLEANER!!!
The correct type of cleaner is sprayed into the control in small amounts, ONE spray. Spray this into both sections (left and right) of the control.
Next, rotate the control back and fourth several times, to distribute the cleaner across the entire surface. Allow the control to dry, and wipe off excess cleaner.

An example of REAL control cleaner is DEOXIT or PRO GOLD, sold by CAIG chemical company. This is not cheap, but it will not harm your expensive equipment.

DO NOT rely on a sales person to recommend the correct type of cleaner, verify it YOURSELF, using the recommendations posted on the cleaner manufacturer's website.
You have been warned.

CLEANING THE HEADPHONE / AUDIO JACKS TO CURE AUDIO CUT OUT AND CRACKLES:
The headphone jack contains switching contacts which disconnect your speakers when you plug the headphones in. However, if these contacts become oxidized or corroded, your left and right speakers may stop functioning.
Spray a small amount of cleaner into the jack. Insert a headphone plug, then pull it out, repeat the insertion several times. This will assist the cleaner, to help clean the contacts inside the headphone jack.
After the contacts have been cleaned, your left and right speaker outputs might function again. Try it.

DO NOT use cheap cleaner on your controls, don't be a sucker! Do not spray WD 40 into your controls, you will be very sorry you did that. Just because the cleaner says: "safe on plastics" does not mean that it is!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
The pot cap shown may be the ticket for cleaning without disassembly.. Thanks!

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
Good info Rusty. I had thought the dry cleaner is what I needed.. Now I understand I need cleaner/lubricant..

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about the New Electrical Speciality Cleaner from WD40... Not the old standy by in the blue and yellow can. :)

lol

Got it. Didn't know they made that product. I was talking about the old standby :laughing7:

Good luck!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info Rusty. I had thought the dry cleaner is what I needed.. Now I understand I need cleaner/lubricant..

GeoW,

how'd you come out on your project?

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
GeoW,

how'd you come out on your project?

Hi Steve,
I was fortunate enough to locate a technician who did work for Troy. Detector is on the way to him now. I will post when it is returned but I feel very good about it now.

Thanks for asking!

George

OP
OP
GeoW

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
Received Troy Shadow X5 back in a weeks time. Transistor replaced and it is just like new.. Good to find someone to keep the X5s up and running.

Note, this was my number 2 Shadow X5, not the one with the hard to turn tuning knobs. Those knobs were hard to turn because of rubber O-rings installed at the factory to waterproof the control box.

The detector that was repaired would transmit but not receive.

Thanks all!

geo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread