Just got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV but think it might be broken. Help?

stick123

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a used Bounty Hunter Tracker IV a week or so ago, when I put a couple of batteries in it and turned it on the needle goes over to about 4, and stays there no matter how I turn the knobs. I swiped it over a few metal things but it didn't make any noise. Is there anything I should check or is it done / not worth the hassle?

Edit - I should add, it stays the same inside or out in the garden. Just stayed at about 2 - 4 on the meter. When I turn it off again it powers off and goes the whole way to the right.

Edit 2 - I have never used a metal detector before so I don't really know what is what.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG It has been a long time since I tried to sell these. While many laugh at using BH's, they will work. Suggest you read the manual http://www.detecting.com/manuals/Tracker IV) REV 2 01.11.11 Reader.pdf

OP
OP
S

stick123

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I read through it there. The only thing I saw in it that might be a problem is the bit about putting the batteries in. I put them in so the connections were pointing out on both of them. Ill swap them round later to see what happens. If it isn't that it must just be wrecked.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got your PM.
It's been a while since I used my T4 but the FIRST things I would check are the batteries and their connections as well as the connection on the coil wire where it plugs into the box. See if there is any dirt in that plug/connector. Dirt in that plug can render your machine useless or at the very least, very unstable. There are two small phillips screws that you can loosen to take the connector out. Be careful because it's plastic. There are two plastic pieces that line up together on either side with the plug in the middle. You can clean them with contact cleaner or alcohol.

When you put it back together, PUSH THE COIL WIRE PLUG INTO THE CONNECTOR before you tighten it up. That will keep it centered. Also, be very careful not to over tighten those two screws. Just get them snug and you're ready to go. If you over tighten them the plastic can break and then you'll have a bigger problem.

I would read the ENTIRE manual and do the air tests EXACTLY like the manual tells you. If you do that you'll get a basic understanding of what the machine is telling you over different types of metal. I usually hunted in disc mode with mine with the disc set at around 11-12:00; leaning to the 11:00 side. That will knock out iron but not gold at that setting. But they're all a bit different so you'll have to get a feel for your individual machine. Run the sens as high as you can without it chattering or being unstable. if it goes crazy it's too high.

As far as the meter goes, that's basically useless and is just for show. With the T4 you hunt by sound/tone. Now there may be a problem. Make sure your battery connections are snug and that the wires haven't been pulled out of the box. The fact that your meter isn't moving at all makes me wonder about that but it's really hard to say without seeing it.

I taped my battery wires up on either side because I just didn't like the way they were flopping around in there. It seemed to help. But make sure you have good contact on your batteries and when you take them out, Do NOT pull the wires. They can come right out of the box if you yank on them too hard so be GENTLE. Make sure where the battery actually snaps into the connection is good and tight. They can bend and loosen over time and cause problems. You can connect the batteries and GENTLY squeeze those terminals tight with a pair of needle nose pliers but again, only get them SNUG. Don't over do it. It isn't necessary. You just want a good connection.

That's about the best I can tell you at this point so read the manual, check that coil connector and battery connections and see what happens. You can PM me after you've done those things and let me know if you've gotten anywhere with it.
Good luck.

Oh, and although the T4 is a beginner detector, it WILL find treasure. It's very capable for what it is and it's not a toy. Remember that location is important. You won't dig up old silver coins where no one dropped old silver coins so don't get discouraged. Learning this hobby is a process but it's a fun process that gets better and even pays you as you go along. I also warn you that this can be very addicting.

I found gold and silver jewelry, silver coins and a few nice old coins; tons of modern coins and tokens (the T4 LOVES coins of all kinds) plus a ton of trash and other cool/interesting stuff with my T4. It introduced me to this hobby. It's a great starter machine to get you into the hobby but of course, it has to be functioning properly.

Also, go on YouTube and watch some T4 videos. There are plenty of decent ones that will show you what you need to know to get started. I believe there is one from the manufacturer that covers the basics pretty well. I would definitely check it out and compare your machine's behavior to the video. That should tell you if there's a problem.

Again; Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for any PM's. I don't check them every moment or anything but I will get them.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread