Question about detector quality

helmethead

Greenie
Feb 22, 2017
DFW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had 2 detectors (teknetics delta 4000 and Garrett at pro)
My friend also bought an at pro.
All 3 detectors have had weird electronics issues so far.
I posted about the teknetics in another post, and my at pro had headphone jack issues...eventually stopped altogether. My friend has intermittent coil issues (jiggling connector brings it back to life)

My question is more general though. Is there anyone that can vouch for their detector "quality"? I.e. Never had an issue after long term use?

I am in manufacturing and get that there is always a balance between price and 100% defect free. I guess I am just whining because we are 0/3 on high end detectors.

I also own 3 cheap $34 detectors that the younger kids play around with and find all my nails for me. They throw these around and they work great...less electronics to go bad obviously...and only good for nails or coins 1 inch deep 🙄

I would be willing to buy another detector if I could figure out if ANY are high quality. From reading these posts, it is hard to tell.

Thanks
Brian

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites makes some durable units.

Over the last several years mine has fallen off a shovel, been knocked and dented with the same shovel, been dropped, stepped on, fallen on (those last two were my kids doing), used damp, used wet, high temps, freezing temps... and it keeps on ticking. I use my machines like tools - not at all gently!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro offers a Lifetime Warranty for a good reason. The vast majority of Tesoro owners NEVER need to use it. Dropping the mic.. :skullflag:

OP
OP
helmethead

helmethead

Greenie
Feb 22, 2017
DFW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do want to mention that Garrett has great customer service. And it is handy to be able to drive 10 minutes to the factory for a repair, but I would rather the detector not break in the first place.

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, dude... if you're 10 minutes from the Garrett factory, get your AT Pro fixed up or replaced and rock on! I've been using mine (AT Pro) for about a year now and have had no issues (knocks on wood). I'm sure that someone who is into electronics could go into your machine and harden it a bit (voiding your warranty)... but if I were you, I'd go into the factory and request that they put extra solder on all the connections and beef up the ports for coil and headphones. It seems to me that they are pretty good with customer service.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using white's for over 25 years never had a failures

Whites makes some durable units.

Over the last several years mine has fallen off a shovel, been knocked and dented with the same shovel, been dropped, stepped on, fallen on (those last two were my kids doing), used damp, used wet, high temps, freezing temps... and it keeps on ticking. I use my machines like tools - not at all gently!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can pay a lot of money for a cheaply made machine but, you won't pay a small price for a well made one because high grade electronics cost more, as much as 100 times more. A cheaply made gated circuit can cost .40 cents or $40. Historically, my experience has been that White's and Tesoro use high grade eletronics in their machines. As in any man made object flaws are inevitable. These 2 companies have a history of backing are fixing any problems they've incurred. A modern day entry to the list is Minelab. Their military contract background puts proves a reputation for high quality products they stand behind. I have use these companies machines and have never had a failure other than my own doing, in thousands of hours of use in the most adverse of conditions.

OP
OP
helmethead

helmethead

Greenie
Feb 22, 2017
DFW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback everyone...I'll check out whites Tesoro and minelab.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you take care of your equipment? Where are the 3 detectors stored? I have never had an issue with any of the detectors I have owned. I have one that is 8 years old and still works great.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too was going to ask about the storage and handling of said machines?

I've had my AT Pro since 2012 and the only problem that I can say I've had with it, was caused by me.

I didn't realize that I was to use the coil cover when detecting, and only had it on for storage.

I carved up the bottom of my coil pretty good whacking it up against some old rocks, before I learned what the cover was actually for.

Having said that, I still use it and it's fine.

There is storage temperature issues that you may want to pay attention to (look at Garrett's information booklet for what they recommend), perhaps you are stepping on the headphone cord or stretching it too far when you are digging for your finds?

I'm sure that there are loads more other issues to consider, but in general I don't see people lining up to take their AT Pro's back for repairs?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When jiggling solves the problem, you have broken wires. Basically the cable needs to be replaced.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending whether your detectors are still under warranty or not everyone will tell you the all the detector manufactures have excellent service. The coil issue on your friends detector sounds like he needs to tighten the connector. The jack issues may be your headphones. Garrett has a stellar reputation for repairing their defective or even older products.

In my estimation and I own a Whites, Garrett and Minelab they are all excellent quality.. Every now and then they fail but not often. I have over 1500 hours on my ATP and the only glitch I ever had was the coil cable connection was loose

Like Deft Tones said he uses his detectors like tools. I use my detectors the same way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread