Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago my White's MX5 starting shutting off on it's own. It doesn't make the power down tone as it would when you manually turn it off, it just immediately shuts off. The first time I noticed this issue, it was really cold out, so I wrote it off as maybe the batteries were freezing up. It's now gotten to the point where as soon as the machine turns on, after a swing or two it shuts down, without making the tone that it should when being shut off. I opened up the battery pack to check the prongs and everything seems to be okay. The pack itself did have a battery that leaked a while back, so the 1 prong inside the pack is slightly corroded, but nothing too bad. I'm still rather new to the hobby so I'm not sure what I should do here. Rather frustrated though,:BangHead: feeling like I should have went with the AT Pro over the White's. Would it be a good idea to buy a replacement battery back first and try that or just send it back to Whites? Thanks for the help. -KP

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would clean the terminals so you have a 100% good connection

put a meter on the terminals that connect to the detector and move pack around
should be solid reading

where are you located in PA

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good advice! Definitely clean off any corrosion left on the battery terminal then check it with the multimeter. If not good call whites. They are a great company for customer service. Good luck!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you drop the pack in you put force on the terminal pins inside.. if the battery does not hold the door open when you try and close it, requiring you to push the battery in to get the door closed, then the terminal pins are pushed down. This looseness is why it shuts offf when you put it down or pick it up fast.. all whites do this..
You can use a coat hanger with a hook bent on the end to reach down into the battery compartment and pull up on the L shaped terminal pins.. problem solved.. just don't drop of slam in the batter pack any more.
Good luck

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
whats the best way to clean them?eraser?
thanks brad

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice guys. Thankfully it was seems that it was just the prongs on the inside of the battery pack itself that needed to be bent back into position so that it makes a full connection. So far so good....seems to have solved the problem for now.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the same problem with my AT Pro. I'm able to use it for about 15-20 mins then it shuts off. I'm now carrying back up detectors everywhere I go. real annoying. Also this machine is less than a year old.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I'm having the same problem with my AT Pro. I'm able to use it for about 15-20 mins then it shuts off. I'm now carrying back up detectors everywhere I go. real annoying. Also this machine is less than a year old.

You should call Garrett about it, I think the ATPro has a 2 year warranty.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing I found with my Whites that kept turning off (so annoying) was that my battery kept losing contact. I put a piece of foam to help it stay tight between battery and closure and that fixed it for me. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread