X-TERRA 705 with sound messed up.

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
For a little while now my 705 will have a scratchy sound and even go silent when I have the headphones plugged in. I tried a couple of other headphones and it did the same when they were plugged in and moved like when I set the detector down or move my head while digging a target. Anyone else had this happen to them? What did you do? Thanks for any advice.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no expert but have experienced similar problems with other electronics containing headphone jacks.

So, I'm guessing one of the soldered connections on the internal part of the jack has come loose.

Id say you could either:
- send it back for warranty repair.
- find someone to fix it for you.
- take it apart and fix it yourself.

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this post is old. Just curious did you ever get it fixed?. Was it used or did you buy it new? I had something similar happen to me and it was due to the salt in the air and not using an environmental cover. I hope you got it fixed.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using an adapter and headphones with a standard plug? If so try replacing it.
I had the same issue once and it turned out to be the adapter itself rather than the headphones or the detector.

I learned a long time ago while building competitive car audio systems that every connection is a potential point of failure and signal loss.

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am and the adapter broke off in the headphone port. I can’t remove it even with needle nose plyers

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it 3.5mm or 1/2”.
can you open it up to get at it from the inside?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread