Stuart82

Jun 16, 2016
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

A buddy and I have started to try our AtPros in the creek by our house. He is able to go the full time (about an hour) and have no issues with his machine. I, however, cannot go more than 10 minutes before mine starts to get real noisy (false signals) in and out of the water. This is happening with just getting the coil submerged and not the whole machine, although I am sitting the machine in the water and it is floating while locating a target and not fully submerged or pressurized with water. The 5x8 coil that I have been using is a little beat up and may have a hairline fracture or 2 that is letting water seep in. Would that be the issue? With the little electronics knowledge that I do have, it would figure that there would be no difference if the water is in the coil or outside of the coil with only the plastic to protect it. The coil is just wound wire, correct?

Bomberman

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try swapping coils with your friend to verify that is the problem. A crack in the coil housing could indeed allow water to seep in and possibly short out the coil. The coil is wound wire but the transmit and receive wires are separated by an insulator...if they short out (water is a very good conductor of electricity) you will indeed have issues. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions