Metrotech 220

jimjimmunster

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this forum. I've got a Metrotech 220 from 1997. I just got it off of "fleabay" for a not to0 decent deal. The seller said it worked, yet the sensitivity gauge was bashed in. The plastic around it was atleast. The broken meter itself is intact, and I have a replacement in the mail. The damaged meter functions, but will not work for common use. I soldered in a new 9v battery clip. I plugged in the soundbox, and turned the knob past battery check. I did not get promising first results. The battery occasionally get hot, and no sound is produced when metal is put under the coil. The PCB is hidden within the handle I believe and I do not think it is accessible. How might I test the coil and the parts in the PCB? Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If somebody told you that thing was from 1997, that wasnt their last lie about it. That detector is an absolute dinosaur and belongs only as a wall hanger.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of detecting are you planning on doing with that machine?

OP
OP
J

jimjimmunster

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on digging up railroad spikes with this detector. Everything in this detector is dated FEB 97, so possibly it was rebuilt or something? These detectors are still quite often used by NIPSCO out here. I replaced the speaker battery (didn't know that was a thing until now) and stopped the battery from getting warm. Its still not sounding when passing over steel, or any metal still.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, lets go back to step one here. Please post a pic of the metal detector. When you say you have a metrotech 220, THIS is what we know it as:

metrotech-220-metal-detector.jpg

That is a 1950s or maybe early 60s detector. Any cheap-o modern detector from radio-shack can outperform that. If that is your detector, you are wasting you time. over time electrical components fail. transistors, resistors, capacitors (if this is even modern enough for transistors), solder joints, etc all go bad and fail. you would have to test every single component on the PCB as well as the continuity of the coil wiring and then you still might have a bad board that you cant detect.

If the detector you are talking about is different, please show us.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... That is a 1950s or maybe early 60s detector. .....

Metrotech was founded about 1962. However, they still exist to this day. They are strictly for utility/commercial purposes, not hobbyist metal detectors now. In fact, even their early '60s detectors were originally for utility locating. But they got popular with hobbyists, because they were the best around, at that time . They were sensitive enough to find individual coins.

Not sure if the model # "220" continues to this day or not. But in any event, the company is still around.

Metrotech was founded in 1980, I use to work for a utility company and used several of the Metrotech locators....

I dunno about "1980". Perhaps they incorporated at that time, but were in some other business type prior to that ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metrotech was founded about 1962. However, they still exist to this day. They are strictly for utility/commercial purposes, not hobbyist metal detectors now. In fact, even their early '60s detectors were originally for utility locating. But they got popular with hobbyists, because they were the best around, at that time . They were sensitive enough to find individual coins.

Not sure if the model # "220" continues to this day or not. But in any event, the company is still around.

I dunno about "1980". Perhaps they incorporated at that time, but were in some other business type prior to that ?

Maybe they were incorporated in 1980, after further research I did find a 1962 date for Metrotech.

https://www.thomasnet.com/profile/00691773/vivaxmetrotech-corporation.html

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, learned something new today. Hard to believe something like that is still around and unknown by most. That design certainly hasnt changed since the 60s, which isnt a good thing. :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

jimjimmunster

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These detectors can detect up to two and a half feet down. They came out in the late 60's and were popular into the 70's. And yes, it is a 220. Resistors are quite unlikely to go bad, and electrolytic capacitors past the 60s were usually aluminum encased, so if there were any electrolytics its unlikely they have failed. the low voltage caps in here are most likely ceramics/films/tantalums so its quite unlikely that they are bad. Transistors can go bad, but you would know. They usually "show it". I am unsure how the PCBs in here can be accessed. They are encased in black possibly epoxy? I don't know how to test the coil. They really are quite reliable, effective detectors. I simply do not know how to access the PCBs to check, nor do I know how to test the coil.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the pcb is potted you would have to find something to melt or dissolve the material.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I know guys over seas build detectors and coils from scratch. You would need to know a few things about the specs and such to know what to look for.I hope you get it working.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the company is still around, why not call them up and ask about sending it in for repair?

OP
OP
J

jimjimmunster

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metrotech no longer services these units. I think the problem is the potentiometer... Its a little touchey. I got it to make some noise after playing around with the pot. I am not completely sure though.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
These detectors can detect up to two and a half feet down. They came out in the late 60's and were popular into the 70's. ....

They got popular in the late 1960s, but the 220 had been around since as early as 1962. Some CW hunters had them by the mid 1960s. And in So. CA , they were a common site on the beaches by as early as 1963.

I met a fellow who had started detecting in 1963 on the beaches of So. CA. He knew it was that year, because he'd been just out of high school graduation. He had gone to the beach one day, and seen a guy swinging one of those. He asked the guy where to buy one. Within a week, he was the proud owner of a 220 himself :)

However, He lived far from the beach (Riverside or Pasadena inland areas). So he soon had to figure out where else to use it (this was in an era before such things were obvious, like they are now.). He figured he'd try sandboxes at all the local parks and schools. And found them to be LOADED with easy change. And in 1963, that was all silver :)

He said that any day he wanted, he could simply go to any sandbox within driving distance of him, and get several dollars in change. Which sounds silly, but ... at the time, he said it would fill his gas tank up and still have enough leftover to buy the beer for the party, ha. He recalled that the depth on coins with those was perhaps 4" or so.

He never got the idea to angle for old stuff, or do exotic type ghost towns or whatever. It was just for spending $$ at the time.

OP
OP
J

jimjimmunster

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. replaced the meter. the battery check indicates the battery is defective. This is not true. This has brand new tested batteries in it. Still wont alarm over metals. I am sort of to the end of what I can do. Are their any people who still service these? If so how might I contact them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread