Building Headphones.Lets talk about Impedence.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hello,everyone.
I'm building up a set of underwater headphones for my Excalibur 1000.I'm using a set of Stereo Headphones torn apart for the Speakers(Piezo)..
Before I hook them up,I would like to know a little about the correct Impedance(Ohms) that will work.Reading a bit about this shows some concern about Matching the Proper output of the Amplifier and the Ohm rating of the "Speakers"..Thanks.

These that I have are 10mm Speakers,Freq 20Hz to 20Khz..Impedance 32 Ohms.Maximum Power output 40Mw.I do not want to blow the Amplifier in my Machine.Ken

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,everyone. I'm building up a set of underwater headphones for my Excalibur 1000.I'm using a set of Stereo Headphones torn apart for the Speakers(Piezo).. Before I hook them up,I would like to know a little about the correct Impedance(Ohms) that will work.Reading a bit about this shows some concern about Matching the Proper output of the Amplifier and the Ohm rating of the "Speakers"..Thanks. These that I have are 10mm Speakers,Freq 20Hz to 20Khz..Impedance 32 Ohms.Maximum Power output 40Mw.I do not want to blow the Amplifier in my Machine.Ken
I would think the lower Ohms the better . I recently found out that all of Garretts headphones are 8 Ohms.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I've done a little playing around with headphone speakers. Most of the high end aftermarket MD headphones use 150 OHM speakers.

I've tried a lot of different speakers from the 150s down to 8 OHMs. Not seaming to make a lot of difference to the machine but lots of difference in sound / sound quality. Ones I'm using at the moment are 32 ohms.

Sometimes they show a range in the detector manual or you may want to check with Minelab.

OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hello,Jeff.
Sorry,I just now spotted your Reply..I put my new Headphones together with the above Listed Components.But I'm still trying to get those new Orings to finish up the Project.God knows when they might arrive down here.(Colombia)..Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread