GTAx 550 Depth Problems

stikman

Greenie
May 25, 2008
NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I just got my first detector, a GTAx 550, about 2 weeks ago. I was having a lot of fun with it and getting a bit addicted until 2 days ago when I did a bench test with it. I found that I'm only picking up coins at 3-4 inches during air test. This happens throughout the depth range in and out of discriminate modes. I am getting larger objects (can sized) at only 10 inches. In Pinpoint mode though, I am picking up coins at up to 10 inches and larger objects at well over 2 feet. I'm not sure if I've got a defective coil, or if the processor is messed up. I'd like to contact someone that would know what may be wrong with my detector. I don't think that Garrett would be much help, as I bought this detector used. Also I'd like to find anyone in my general area NE of Topeka. I want to be happy with this hobby.

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i would still call garrett.ive had small issues with garrett coils in the past and all did was fill out the form on the garrett website http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_factory_service_request_form.htm
i did this with a sniper coil u suspected and they sent me a brand new one for free. but call them,talk to a tech and get his opinion as what to do. no need to mention the "bought it used " part.it is a garret product and they will help you. good luck :thumbsup:

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my 550 for about 8 years now depth is not a problem run depth about
6-7 and slow your swing down to start with... use only good!! batteries not cheap ones
coil off the ground about 1 inch and a level swing :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions